Narragansett RI: dive report for Pier 5 7/12/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstudley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
RIOceanographer and I did a 'night' dive off of Pier 5 in narragansett (it was still light out when we were finished but I guess you could call it a night dive). We hit low tide so the max depth was around 21fsw or so with a bottom time of 103min.

This is a nice, -very- easy site with an easy entry, lots of kelp and rocks to look under, etc. Not the most exciting place but it's good for a relaxing dive, drills, bouyancy tuning. If your in the area diving Pier 5 is a good followup to Bass Rock Rd.

I like that site as well, it's perfect for tweaking skills or testing out new gear. Just be careful of the folks fishing there...I had a knife "go missing" on a recent dive there. :34:

Just to add a detail to the dive report, the temp was around 66 degrees F.

Was there a surge. There was always a surge when I went. Also is that a spectacular night dive as I hear?

Chris

Matt let me know next time you and Chris head out there I'd like to give it a dive.
I am hoping to start the weekly dive thing in August. Right now I have been swamped with classes.
Talk to you guys later.

There was not really any surge on this dive, but you are right surge can be a factor at this site if the waves are too big.

And yes, personally I think that site makes for a great night dive. The lights on the shore are a nice navigational reference, and when I have done night dives there in the past the place was just crawling with life.

RIDIVER501:
Matt let me know next time you and Chris head out there I'd like to give it a dive.
I am hoping to start the weekly dive thing in August. Right now I have been swamped with classes.
Talk to you guys later.

I'm sure will do more night dives there.... it is a great site for diving after work for me. Both my work and my house are only about 5 minutes from there. :eyebrow:

We'll keep you posted, and definitely let me know when you get those weekly night dives going again.

RIOceanographer:
I'm sure will do more night dives there.... it is a great site for diving after work for me. Both my work and my house are only about 5 minutes from there. :eyebrow:

We'll keep you posted, and definitely let me know when you get those weekly night dives going again.

Roger that.
I would have let you guys know about monday night, but the cops and Firemen that I am working with want to make sure that there are no distractions when it come to thier training time with me. I really can't blame them, but next time.

All,
A few of us are going to try and dive on Friday night (probably Fort Adams) weather permitting. If you're interested PM me.

cheers.

gstroupe:
All,
A few of us are going to try and dive on Friday night (probably Fort Adams) weather permitting. If you're interested PM me.

cheers.

Arg! Saying no to diving is against my code! But I can't do it Friday night! Perhaps some other time though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom