NASE Scuba Blog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NASEHQ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We just finished a great new article on our scuba blog, check it out:

[h=1]NASE Doesn’t Offer a Remedial Mask Clearing Course, Either…[/h]Posted on August 17, 2011 by NASE Worldwide
The number one complaint among dive operators is that new divers can’tcontrol buoyancy. And no wonder! The typical scuba student spends up to 90 percent of his time in the water standing, sitting or kneeling on the bottom. How can he ever learn buoyancy control doing that?
The situation is so bad some agencies offer remedial buoyancy control courses to try to help new divers fix problems that never should have been allowed to happen in the first place. That’s just plain wrong.
bahamas_propeller.png

NASE doesn’t offer a remedial buoyancy control course any more than we offer a remedial regulator recovery or mask clearing course. To us, buoyancy control is not a “skill” to be demonstrated by doing fin pivots in open water.Controlling buoyancy is at the heart of everything we teach, right from the start. And, as with so many things in diving, it begins by building good habits.
In this series, we will be talking about ways to do just that. Among the topics we will cover:

Last edited:
As a NASE instructor I teach buoyancy control as an integral part of all skills

Loved the articles!
I preach bouyancy control to my students. It's heart breaking to see so many classes kneeling in the sand here in the Keys...even worse when divers with poor skills are kicking the reef that is being planted with new baby elkhorn and staghorn corals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom