Nassau: Orange Hill Inn and Stuarts Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Cool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, I am contemplating on doing some land-based diving in Nassau with Stuarts Cove and staying at Orange Hill. This will be my first trip to Nassau and the Bahamas. I will take all of my gear with me including 3mm wetsuit and BCD (except for tanks and weights, of course). I have had a very bad experience in the past using rental gear that I promised to take my own gear with me on all my dive trips whenever possible.

I have done some research on the web about Orange Hill and Stuart Cove's operations. One thing bugs me a lot is the thought of lugging my entire gear bag to and from the dive shop/dock everyday I dive. I plan to do around 16 to 18 dives while I am there. Here are my questions:

1. Does Stuart Cove have on-site dive lockers where you can leave your gear so you don't have to take them back to the hotel? If no, does that mean divers who bring their own gear carry it around with them to and from their hotels/resorts?

2. Does Orange Hill have secure facilities that allow you to hang your gear to dry? I do know that the rooms on the upper level have a balcony area that would be nice to leave gear to dry but is it secure?

3. Is there an economically priced hotel in Nassau that is along the shuttle route of Stuart's Cove that has a rinse tank and facilities to store and dry your dive gear? I have stumbled into LandShark Divers Hotel website and it seems to be the hotel that suits my needs (with rinse tank and secure gear locker facilities). But they're not on the shuttle route of Stuarts Cove. However, they seem to offer dive trips hosted by Stuarts Cove. Any comments on this?

I have experienced lugging around my gear when I tried diving in Varadero Cuba a month ago. It was a PITA even if there was a shuttle that took guests to and from the dive shop. It was a good thing I decided not to bring my U/W P&S camera set-up. That would add to the PITA experience. After a 2-tank dive, I swore off diving for the rest of my stay in Varadero. The diving was not that great and hauling your gear around was quite tiring.

I like a dive resort set-up where the boat picks you up from the hotel dock. Just like Iberostar in Cozumel. You step out of your room in your dive suit with BC, fins, and mask in hand. Jump into the boat and away you go. Get back, rinse your gear, take it to your room, hang them to dry on the balcony, and go grab something to eat at the buffet. You know what I mean. The convenience.

Or, better still, a liveaboard. I have done one liveaboard in my life. This was in the Philippines when I dove Tubbataha early this year. In lieu of land-based diving, I am also considering doing the Aquacat. But, that's another topic of discussion.:D

Any feedback or comments would be highly appreciated.

Joe - my wife and I stayed at Orange Hill and did some diving both at Stuart Coves and Bahama Divers (not certain its still called that - they are in downtown Nassau).

To try to help with some of your questions and give some advice from someone who has been there;

1/. Not certain on this. Soz! (we took our gear to/from)

2/. Mostly they all have Balconies that I found to be secure. I hate to admit it but I left a pair of dive boots outside the front door of our apartment (ie in full view - not secured at all) and yes, they were gone in the morning. Shame - but I blame myself. Our balcony was totally secure - no problems there.

3/. Stuart Cove will come and get you from Orange Hill. It might not be their 'prefferred' (ie kickback) place for you to stay - but its deffo on the route and you'll be last on and first off the bus :eek:) (most coming from downtown)

The shark dive is unforgettable and although nearly two years ago for me - I was watching the video clips at the weekend! However, and please don't take this too negatively - Nassau is not offering you the best diving that the Bahamas have to offer. It isn't even coming close. From a purely diving perspective you'd be better off on a liveaboard (I've done the Explorer II in the Bahamas and that was a big thumbs up) or get advice from people in the know about which islands might top the list.

Good bits about Orange Hill is the beach out front and you don't actually have to swim too far to find some coral and great sea life around it.

Happy to field any other questions you might have and if that's your choice - you'll have a great time and come back with some amazing photos. If it were my choice I'd probably do a couple of days at Orange/Stuarts and then fly to another Bahamian island or do a liveaboard. (oh - hold on, that's pretty much what I already did. I guess on these sites we all just tell people on the basis of our own opinions !!!!)

regards

TJ

TJ, thanks for the feedback and advice. I will definitely keep those in mind.

As a matter of fact, Orange Hill is one of Stuart Cove's preferred hotels. They are offering an attractive dive and stay package with Orange Hill.

A question: What do you do with your gear bag and dry clothes after you have changed into your suit? Do you leave the bag in the shop? Or, do you take it with you to the boat. I suspect that given the size of the boats and the number of passengers, you live the bag in the shop. Am I correct?

I am seriously planning a liveaboard trip with the Aquacat. I will be in Orlando attending a conference that will end in June 17. Both Aquacat and Explorer II have trips from June 18 to the 25th. I like to go with the Explorer II to dive the areas South of the Bahamas and near Provo. However, the airfare from Provo back to Orlando is a nightmare. It is somewhere between $500 to $600. The airfare from Orlando to Georgetown is very good at around $170. I am still weighing and considering things. I am saving up for a liveaboard but if I can't save enough, then I will have to settle for land-based diving off Nassau.

Regards,

Phil

Hiya - At S.C. everything goes with you onto the boat - bag and all. And as I remember, wetsuits didn't go on until we'd got on the boat. The boats aren't overcrowded and will be a plenty safe environment for you and your gear. The bit that makes you wonder how everyone and their correct gear is going to end up in the right place is back at the dive centre. These guys have multiple boats - all operating at the same time, some for diving and some just for snorkelling (now that boat did look crowded!!).

If you do manage to get the airfare to work for you (ie do a liveaboard) I doubt you'll regret it - and could be worth the effort. When we looked at it - once you factor in food / up to five dives a day / it was almost cheaper to be on the Explorer. I have never been anywhere quite as expensive to eat as Nassau. Even the supermarket was stupid prices. I'd check how much the food and beer will cost and make a comparison.

TJ

Sorry - I look back now and realise I didn't read the question about accommodation quite right.

Back
Top Bottom