Nassau Trip Report-Stuarts Cove's Shark Adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huachele

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just back from Nassau/Key West trip.

My son (11 Years) and I did the Shark adventure dive with Stuart Cove's. this has been addressed quite a bit on SB so the basics are what you would expect from reading the other reviews: Set the hook over the "Arena", buddy up, drop in and do a 35 minute dive along the wall. Second dive: Add weight, drop in to the "Arena" pick out a rock, photogs set you up with your buddy or buddy group; In comes the feeder with the "box" and the shark feed is on. Dive lasted 50 minutes.

My take: The first dive was cool seeing the sharks appear from the distance along the wall. The "feed" was well done, we had 19 divers, the feeder takes the box of chum around the arena so each group gets a nice close up of the feeding and the sharks swim closer to you when the food is near. 50 minutes is a bit much but I think it was because we had so many divers and they want to get the box in front of every one.

The bus ride from Atlantis was over an hour. We were the first on and stopped at 6 or 7 more hotels on the way. The remedy: 1) Don't stay at Atlantis; 2)take a taxi; 3)rent a car; 4) what I would recommend is to take the early bus and do the early dives, have lunch at the grill at the shop then do the afternoon shark dives. That would make the most of your time on the bus.

The other gripe was the photographers, bless their hearts, are trying to get a good shot of you surrounded by sharks. To do this they get right in your grill whilst the sharks are being fed closest to you. So when you should get your best view of the sharks someone is there standing in front of you. I would recommend to take your own camera and mention to the photographer before the dive that you will be waving them off. Then when they get in front of you, let them snap a few then give the wave off.

Bottom line, it was worth it but I don't think I would do it again. My son loved it but I don't think it was his favorite dive. If you are in Nassau or paradise Island and have not done it then you should. To put it in perspective, one guy was so jacked up he signed up to go again the next day!

Stuart Cove's was great and the crew seemed competent to me. I would recommend them.

The next day diving was done through a six pack op who picked us up at the bridge. Said our dives would be 25 feet. Touched 20 on the first one with my belly in the sand, the second dive my computer maxed at 16 feet but I don't recall seeing it go below 13 during the dive. Son enjoyed the second dive so can't gripe too much about it.

If I go back to Nassau I will be diving with Stuart Cove's.

Quick Key West Report as it was part of the same trip: Dove with Finz Dive Charter out of Hurricane Hole Marina. It was cold and the wind was blowing 30 Kts. Roberts 28 World cat made the ride less miserable than had we been in a mono hull. Did Joe's tug at 60ft. Cold. But nice dive. It was nice to be out of the boat anyway. Next dive was some reef I didn't catch the name in about 40. Levi, our guide wanted to take a spear down with us and I am glad we did. Got a couple of Hog fish. Took them to the grill next to the shop. It was very tasty. It was a miserable and cold day and the guys at Fins managed to salvage it and make it quite a fun day. I would recommend these guys.

thanks Huachele, we will be diving 3 full days with Stuart Cove in early May, including two afternoon shark dive experiences. Appreciate your insights.
Hal

Thanks for the review Huachele. Had already planned to rent a car while at Atlantis. This confirmed my decision. How long would you guesstimate the drive to Stuart's by car?

Thanks for the review Huachele. Had already planned to rent a car while at Atlantis. This confirmed my decision. How long would you guesstimate the drive to Stuart's by car?

This is a guess since I spent my time on the bus chatting with other passengers. I would say at least half an hour drive and probably more like 45 minutes with traffic.

I booked a dive w/ Stuarts for May 9th.

I'm curious, is the bus that picks up at Atlantis, the same bus that picks up from the cruise ports?
Pink & White?

Any idea (guesstimate) how long the ride is from the cruise port?

Yes, the Stuart Cove's buses are a Pepto-Bismal pink. It is probably 30-45 minutes, depending on the traffic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom