NAUI changing swim requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrispete

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I know that this has been hashed out in another thread before, but that was based on some hypothetical situations... I was chatting with my LDS and he mentioned that NAUI is changing its swimming standards from 200 yard free-swim to a "15 strokes with some forward progress" standard.

We started talking about it, and for a strong swimmer, they could easily cover 50 yards in 15 strokes, but a weak swimmer could barely cover 10 feet dog-paddling. I know that there have been several good, solid arguements made by those who have trouble swimming but are fish with scuba, but this drastic cut in standards is pretty big.

The LDS stated that he is going to keep with the 200 yard prior standard.

It was changed some time ago. The previous requirement was 225 yards, not 200, although some agencies do require 200 yds. A dear friend of mine is a NAUI instructor and everytime this topic comes up he says exactly the same thing, "It's embarrassing."

The good news is NAUI allows their instructors to add in requirements.

Ah, didn't realize that it wasn't a new thing. Guess I should have done more than a cursory search for prior posts... I do agree that it is a good thing that they allow instructors to add to the programs - most divers around here dive in the Gulf of Mexico, and the currents in our neck of the woods can move when they feel like it.

Agency standards are minimums and if an instructor feels that a higher standard must be met to complete his course, he has the authority to set standards that are approprite for his diving community.

No gear, bare swimsuit (no fins, mask, etc).

Choose your stroke, and no time limit (I did it as a leisurely backstroke) but you have to be able to swim.

They also required a 10 minute snorkel "float test"; that one nearly put me to sleep! :)

standards from last year and the requiremnets in it are 225 yard swim. My instructor has the requirements for this year and it has the 15 stroke cycles thing but if I recall correctly the student is to do 15 stroke cyles of 4 different swimming strokes. I'll check today when I go to the shop.

Call me old fashoned, but I still believe that scuba divers need to be comfortable in the water, that mean a good swimmer. So does the dive shop I teach for agrees.
Fortunearly as a ANUI instructor I can exceed minmum requirements. I'm in Canada, so our swimmming requirement is 200 meters. ( works out to 219 yds which I consider close enough)

Mike D
:blfish:

Here here, gets my vote. Back before BCs you had to be able to swim, or your dive career was destined to be very short. There were no yuppies back then, or for our French speaking members, BCBG.

the minimum requirement is 15 stroke cycles. As noted by others the instructors are free to exceed the minimum and most seem to be sticking to the 225 yard swim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom