Nauticam NA-550 for Canon Rebel T2i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan

Contributor
Reaction score
Nauticam has finally released photos of the worst kept secret in the history of housings, the NA-550 for Canon Rebel T2i/550D/Kiss X4. Finally, a high end housing worthy of your new Jackie Chan Rebel!

All kidding aside, the camera has a lot of potential on both still and video fronts, and hopefully this housing helps its users realize it.

SL1_1086.jpg

From the above image, you should see the AV +/- lever tucked away under the handle, and a new paddle for ISO reached by the fingertip of your right hand. AV +/- routes the control control (shown below, above and right of lcd) out to the user's fingertips. This is a two position switch, with an engaged and a disengaged position. In manual mode, with the lever disengaged shutter speed is adjusted by the command dial, and when engaged f-stop is controlled. The ISO Paddle is a feature built for and requested by video shooters. When shooting video, f-stop is set to yield a desired dof, and shutter speed is set often to control motion effects. ISO and external lights are the only factors left available for adjusting exposure, making this control an important one to access from the right grip.

_1050049.jpg

The housing now features a two stage shutter release mechanism that is much more sensitive than previous levers. With this mechanical system you can clearly feel half press, and have to pull noticably harder to actuate the shutter. This is much more tactile than other mechanical systems I've used.

SL1_1084.jpg

The silver button below and to the right of the lens port in the above image is a new lens release lever. This allows a lens with a large zoom gear in place to be removed from the front of the housing only by opening the port. The lens release mechanism does not obstruct the removal of a camera with a lens and zoom gear attached from the back of the housing, either.

SL1_1085-Edit.jpg

The housing back features new locking latches, a rocker key for star and focus point selector, a piano key for the quick control button, and sophisticated routing of the playback control from below the four way controller on the camera to the left handle for easy activation underwater.

NA-550 is the smallest housing built by Nauticam, shown here next to 7D.

SL1_1081.jpg

USA Retail Price is $2300, and coming to a Nauticam dealer near you on June 14.

Here are some renderings of the Nauticam NA-550D that show some additional detail in regard to the latches and ISO paddle:

550D-iso.jpg

Detail of the fingertip ISO paddle lever. This lever now extends a bit farther to allow reach from the handles. ISO is a key control for exposure with T2i video.

550D-lock-close.jpg

Detail of the locking latch. The latch has both a locking release button and a mechanical catch.

550D-lock-open.jpg

Locking latches in open position

550D-lock-open-2.jpg

Detail of locking latch in open position

More info here:
More details on the 550D Nauticam USA
and
Announcing the NA-550D housing Nauticam USA

Cheers,
Chris

Looks great, cant wait to get one in the water.

Looks like a very nice housing.
I might have missed it, but I don't see the control for "Start Video"; is it somewhere on top?

Do the Nauticam macro port C60 and/or macro port 87 have 67mm threads for wetmate adapters?

I've had this housing for two weeks and have done 8 dives with it, using a macro port, compact port, and 8.5-inch dome port. On today's first dive (number 7 for the housing), the shutter control jammed, and I could not take any more photos (this was after taking more than 100 shots during the dive). Removing and reinserting the camera solved the problem, but I'm concerned that it could crop up again at any time. Any recommendations / similary experiences?

There was one on our local boat to Anacapa on Sunday. Very very sweet, but for me the lack of a second control wheel means the 7D is the way to go.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom