Nautilus Life Line Scuba Divers marine radio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use this, the new radio is the same concept but much smaller. Your PIB will fit in the McMurdo Dive Canister which is good to 500ft. I had mine modified so the radio antennae could stay attached.

P8080012.jpg
[/IMG]

I'd thought of using 'your' soloution years ago when I was in the market for such a device, and back in the day, I thought it was the best solution at the time, but was fundamentally unhappy with the bulk/weight/complexity of that 'solution' and never purchased similiar gear.

I'd prefer an integrated solution (device doesn't need to be stored in a big/heavy/bulky-non travel friendly pressure container) so a modern device such as this Nautilus Lifeline is a much simplier/lighter/smaller/idiot-proof answer to the problem.

Seems like a good idea until you give it some thought. Unlike an EPIRB which send its signal via satellite, a VHF radio is a line of sight device. The distance the signal will travel is based on the formula: d = 1.17 * √h
Where d = range in nautical miles and h = the height of your antenna above the ground in feet.

Since the antenna height of this radio is basically zero ft the range is going to be severely limited. But...lets give it the benefit of the doubt and say you can manage to get the antenna to 2ft of elevation, although you'd have to be floating mighty high to do that!

distance = 1.17*1.4 (square root of 2) =1.6 miles of signal travel.

For the manufacturer to state the range of this radio is 8 miles is misleading in the extreme. That figure represents an antenna height of almost 7 ft. Its not unusual for hand held radio manufacturers to base the range of their radios on an antenna height of a standing person (say 6-7 ft to be generous) but in the case of this product that is just not appropriate! In any kind of sea state it would most likely be relatively useless and even in good conditions you're pretty much going to have to be within visible range of the boat for it to be effective. In that case you'd likely be better served by a $20 surface sausage or a good whistle.

If you are seriously concerned about being left behind spend your money on an EPIRB.

Seems like a good idea until you give it some thought. Unlike an EPIRB which send its signal via satellite, a VHF radio is a line of sight device. The distance the signal will travel is based on the formula: d = 1.17 * √h
Where d = range in nautical miles and h = the height of your antenna above the ground in feet.

Since the antenna height of this radio is basically zero ft the range is going to be severely limited. But...lets give it the benefit of the doubt and say you can manage to get the antenna to 2ft of elevation, although you'd have to be floating mighty high to do that!

For the manufacturer to state the range of this radio is 8 miles is misleading in the extreme. That figure represents an antenna height of almost 7 ft. Its not unusual for hand held radio manufacturers to base the range of their radios on an antenna height of a standing person (say 6-7 ft to be generous) but in the case of this product that is just not appropriate! In any kind of sea state it would most likely be relatively useless and even in good conditions you're pretty much going to have to be within visible range of the boat for it to be effective. In that case you'd likely be better served by a $20 surface sausage or a good whistle.

If you are seriously concerned about being left behind spend your money on an EPIRB.

...you make valid points, it certainly doesn't begin to have the range of a satellite based system, to increase the range I suppose one could buy a 6' - 8' SMB and perhaps attach the unit to tne end/top of the SMB if one needed a reasonable few miles of range.

... to increase the range I suppose one could buy a 6' - 8' SMB and perhaps attach the unit to tne end/top of the SMB if one needed a reasonable few miles of range.

Exactly my plan :eyebrow: , to attach it on top of a DSMB, while it is sending out the GSM coordinates.
Just ordered one at the Paris Dive show, can' t wait to get it. They finally filled up a gap in the market.
I have been in too many liveaboards / resorts with dodgy DM to keep giving them complete trust each time...

I initially had the same thought. However, in this case while the diver has a very low antenna, the receiving boat might have antenna mounted much higher. Based on my experience with hand held VHF, I am guessing 2-3 miles would be more typical. Not great, but still might be worthwhile for some. Of course it is still only good if someone withing range is monitoring their radio.

...the Winter 2011 edition of 'Alert Diver' (DAN) magazine is featuring a 2 page article/review of this device (pages 92 - 93) ...lots of good info on it!

The inventor of the device is Mike Lever, owner and captain of the Nautilus Explorer for the last 19 years, a luxury liveaboard (on which I had the pleasure of spending 9 days on in 12/2008 diving the VERY remote/VERY advanced diver site, the Socorro Islands...aka "Giant Manta Capital of the Universe" !!!! ) So I suspect the inventor actually might have a real-world clue about operating and running rescue operations in the middle of nowhere, and what level of features/qualities are appropriate in such devices.

Last edited:
Mike Lever here. I am the inventor of the Nautilus Lifeline. Range is indeed a function of antenna height. The great thing working to our advantage is the height above water of the antenna on the diveboat and or other boats in the vicinity. We conducted in-water tests in Alaska in May between a diver in the water and the Nautilus Swell, our 90 foot liveaboard. Voice calls were readable ie. 3 x 3 at a range of 4 miles. Data calls (DSC distress calls) were received 3 out of 4 times at a distance of 12 nautical miles. the data packets can be received much further out than voice calls. the only restriction at 12 miles was that the Swell was at the end of the inlet by then. welcome all comments and questions. We started shipping last week. 49 production units went out and I made darn sure that each one was thoroughly tested in our lab. We have back orders for over 6000 units so it is going to take us a couple of months to catch up as we ramp up production in a careful and methodical manner. :D

Great advancement to the sport Mike.

Do you have any video of your test and testing team that you could share with us?

Wow! Didn't know that many divers were being left behind or lost that warranted this product. OK pounce with the saying. "If it saves one life it is worth it". If your smart enough to keep it charged or in fresh batteries, (Thanks from the environment, NOT! and the battery manufactures) then you should be smart enough to take the appropriate measures to keep the very small odds of needing this where they are. Very Small! Another example of an equipment solution to a training and often common sense solution. With today's instant gratification addiction too communication technology you have scored a Grand Slam! Be great if the airways stayed quiet with this product. The fact that you can non-emergency buddy call with it guarantees that they wont. Now we get to hear the chat from radios and those using them while floating on the surface or sitting on the boat.
Anxious to see how the dive charter industry will make of this. There are several diver locating systems all ready available to the industry. Why are they not widely used? Probably because there is no statistical need for them. Heck, who knows, maybe you can take all the money you earn from this product and lobby for laws to be put in place making them mandatory? That should be great for business? Hey, safety right? When is the angry birds version coming out? If you kept it an emergency only device I wouldn't give such a hoot.

Hope I'm wrong about their constant use. But, no one likes to spend that kind of money and not get to play with it. Probably because no one would buy just a personal EPIRB.

"Great advancement to the sport?" Yea right..

Where is an EMP when you need one!

Thank God for free speech!

For sure it will get a fair share of testing from the dive community. We shall see if the recommendations are favorable then. But, Hey! All those people who pre-ordered 6,000+ x $300 is a great return even if it doesn't live up to their expectations or reviews. Can they get their money back? I try before I buy..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom