Nautilus Lifeline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My post was Feb 10th, 2011 - not the day before yesterday. I know it's shipping now. I will probably get one sometime but for now I am concentrating on my last semester in college and funds are tight.

Acchhhh. my bad. sorry about that. are you an instructor or divemaster by chance?? Mike

I believe if you are outside of the U.S. DSC/ vhf network/grid the GPS will not be transmitted because it is not translated to the coast guard, etc via a satellite. Please inform us. Besides a handheld vhf that you can dive with, will this transmit in Mexico, Thailand, Caribbean, etc? What is needed for this to occur? A ship/receiver within 2 miles of your location???

Epirb delivers your distress to a satellite.

The Lifeline will work almost anywhere in the world including Mexico, Thailand and the Caribbean. The design goal is to allow you to talk to your own diveboat if you have a problem. Or if you can't talk to them, you are able to talk to every other boat around you on Channel 16 (universal hail and distress around the world). Worst case that you can't establish voice comm's, you can press the red distress (DSC) button and your GPS coordinates and alert message will be sent to every modern radio around you ie. most radios built since 2002 and ALL radios sold since Feb 2009.

The thinking on this came from our own experiences running a liveaboard boat in the Gulf of Alaska and down at Socorro Island in Mexico. If a diver surfaces away from a dive site at Socorro, the only search and rescue resources are the diveboats in the area. There are no other boats or helicopters or such. So an EPIRB or satellite device is of no use - your distress signal would get beamed to a sat and then downloaded to RCC shoreside who would then try to task SAR resources. Except there are no resources at Socorro. Our thinking was why not defuse the situation right at the start and simply talk to your own boat or other dive boat in the area when you are still only 100 yards off site.

Hope this info is helpful
Mike

It is helpful. Thanks Mike! Will place my order asap.

The Lifeline will work almost anywhere in the world including Mexico, Thailand and the Caribbean. The design goal is to allow you to talk to your own diveboat if you have a problem. Or if you can't talk to them, you are able to talk to every other boat around you on Channel 16 (universal hail and distress around the world). Worst case that you can't establish voice comm's, you can press the red distress (DSC) button and your GPS coordinates and alert message will be sent to every modern radio around you ie. most radios built since 2002 and ALL radios sold since Feb 2009.

The thinking on this came from our own experiences running a liveaboard boat in the Gulf of Alaska and down at Socorro Island in Mexico. If a diver surfaces away from a dive site at Socorro, the only search and rescue resources are the diveboats in the area. There are no other boats or helicopters or such. So an EPIRB or satellite device is of no use - your distress signal would get beamed to a sat and then downloaded to RCC shoreside who would then try to task SAR resources. Except there are no resources at Socorro. Our thinking was why not defuse the situation right at the start and simply talk to your own boat or other dive boat in the area when you are still only 100 yards off site.

Hope this info is helpful
Mike

Click on https://vimeo.com/47316079 for a first-hand account of how Lifeline "made my day"!

Acchhhh. my bad. sorry about that. are you an instructor or divemaster by chance?? Mike

Mike,

From the question above, do you have a special price for instructors and/or divemasters?

USMCRet

What does "Crickets" mean?

Is there a special price for dive masters?

Garv

"Crickets" usually means that it's so quiet that all you hear is the noise of crickets.

And while I don't work for Nautilus I've never heard of them offering special pricing for divemasters or instructors.

-Adrian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom