Nautilus Lifeline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WE use the same radio in the office as we do in the boat, and as best I know Marine Radios are ALL limited to the same watt output. With the base station antennae we also have 75 feet of coax going up which invariably degrades the power leaving the antenna itself.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

The FCC limits marine radios to 25 watts. Obviously the FCC mandates in the US, so manufacturers from Europe or else where in theory could set wattage differently unless they adopt the FCC guidelines. A handheld VHF marine radio typically broadcasts with 6 watts and the Nautilus has 1.8 watts according to them.

Marine VHF is a weird, unpredictable animal. It's line of site so even the curvature of the earth plays a part in it's effective range. There is some good simple explanations on the internet about VHF range and how it works, if you care to find them. I think you'll find there are hard facts about how the signal degrades over distance mixed with a lot of guessing as to how signals will react based on everything from weather, to even flocks of birds. Even though there are common reports of strange phenomenon allowing somebody to pick up a VHF transmission from 50 or even 100 miles away, they call these phantom transmissions and of course there is no reliability to them. Like Ron said, that's why it's good for guys like Dave to actually test the Nautilus and determine their own reliable, consistent ranges.

The good thing is this is just the first version of the Nautilus, if they stay in business, the ones to come from them will only get better, and competitors will enter the market. (hint, hint -- how about offering a PLB in the next one?)

The FCC limits marine radios to 25 watts. Obviously the FCC mandates in the US, so manufacturers from Europe or else where in theory could set wattage differently unless they adopt the FCC guidelines. A handheld VHF marine radio typically broadcasts with 6 watts and the Nautilus has 1.8 watts according to them.

Marine VHF is a weird, unpredictable animal. It's line of site so even the curvature of the earth plays a part in it's effective range. There is some good simple explanations on the internet about VHF range and how it works, if you care to find them. I think you'll find there are hard facts about how the signal degrades over distance mixed with a lot of guessing as to how signals will react based on everything from weather, to even flocks of birds. Even though there are common reports of strange phenomenon allowing somebody to pick up a VHF transmission from 50 or even 100 miles away, they call these phantom transmissions and of course there is no reliability to them. Like Ron said, that's why it's good for guys like Dave to actually test the Nautilus and determine their own reliable, consistent ranges.

The good thing is this is just the first version of the Nautilus, if they stay in business, the ones to come from them will only get better, and competitors will enter the market. (hint, hint -- how about offering a PLB in the next one?)

Licensed base stations in the USA can go to 100 watts output if you have reason to do so (Seatow, Towboat, etc.) Coast Guard SAR assets may too. Coast Guard base stations may go to 500 watts with a directional antenna once they figure out where you are. I have conversed with CG up to 200 miles away before without a skip. Last night I clearly heard CG Panama City and Jacksonville on the radio, but there was a healthy skip in. I've heard Galveston from Key West before, once. From the Flower Gardens, I've heard Tampa.

The FCC limits marine radios to 25 watts. Obviously the FCC mandates in the US, so manufacturers from Europe or else where in theory could set wattage differently unless they adopt the FCC guidelines. A handheld VHF marine radio typically broadcasts with 6 watts and the Nautilus has 1.8 watts according to them.Marine VHF is a weird, unpredictable animal. It's line of site so even the curvature of the earth plays a part in it's effective range. There is some good simple explanations on the internet about VHF range and how it works, if you care to find them. I think you'll find there are hard facts about how the signal degrades over distance mixed with a lot of guessing as to how signals will react based on everything from weather, to even flocks of birds. Even though there are common reports of strange phenomenon allowing somebody to pick up a VHF transmission from 50 or even 100 miles away, they call these phantom transmissions and of course there is no reliability to them. Like Ron said, that's why it's good for guys like Dave to actually test the Nautilus and determine their own reliable, consistent ranges.The good thing is this is just the first version of the Nautilus, if they stay in business, the ones to come from them will only get better, and competitors will enter the market. (hint, hint -- how about offering a PLB in the next one?)
I for one would prefer to have my PLB as a completely separate unit - that way a common software bug, or seal failure, wouldn't cripple all my communication options.

As everyone focuses on the technical aspects like range and power and whatever, something that gets overlooked a lot, I feel is the human factor. Does the boat really understand what you're carrying, and what you'll do?

To help ensure comprehension, this is a card we carry. It's laminated so it's waterproof, and we leave it with the Captain (usually on the bridge, next to the radio) as we're diving.

NautilusCard.jpg

All the best, James

It does often come down to weird variations. Take Dave's tower; he is getting better line of sight, but if he is using a mobile radio on that tower he will be pushing less output at the tip than his boats are. Hence the weaker signal of 2 watt nautilus can be received on that nice big tower, but the tower isn't pushing enough to overcome the stubby antenna. Typically low watt portables will lose transmit before receive talking to more powerful mobiles and base stations.

But back to my original question: Dave: Do you know of anyone or do you have a radio capable of receiving and decoding the automatic burst transmissions from the Nautilus? I am just guessing no one is buying that kind of a mobile or base in the commercial sector. Maybe the Navy guys have it? ( I mean a diver could read the coordinates, but that does reduce the functionality of the unit. and how many boats could use the gps coordinates to find you?)

I think it is a cool idea generally though....

The Scuba Mau boat sinking thread raised points that I was unaware of. Units like the Lifeline work as part of the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS). I started looking at units that may display a distress lat/long (Digital Selective Calling" (DSC)). I am a newbie at this so consider any comments as unverified.

Here is one that may display the info and it costs $140 USD

Solara D UM380 - Class D DSC Marine Radio - Marine Electronics at Uniden

Ideally dive ops and the Harbor Master/Navy would start equipping with these radios. In the case of the Scuba Mau boat sinking, conceivably a four to five hour in water experience would have been cut down to an hour or so if the boat captain sent a DSC signal.

It would not take anywhere close 100% equipage to provide a robust DSC detection network.

I for one would prefer to have my PLB as a completely separate unit - that way a common software bug, or seal failure, wouldn't cripple all my communication options.

As everyone focuses on the technical aspects like range and power and whatever, something that gets overlooked a lot, I feel is the human factor. Does the boat really understand what you're carrying, and what you'll do?

To help ensure comprehension, this is a card we carry. It's laminated so it's waterproof, and we leave it with the Captain (usually on the bridge, next to the radio) as we're diving.

NautilusCard.jpg

All the best, James

Great I am going to steal your idea if it is ok and make one for me. I normally brief the crew but that is much better.

Reactions: Jax
Hi, Mike here, President of Nautilus Lifeline

We have been in touch with Scott over in Hawaii. The fellow who had the
really troubling drift out to sea. We hope to receive his unit in our lab
very shortly. This last week has been very troubling and there has been a
considerable amount of discussion and feedback on our design side as well as
with our dealers and distributors and with many, many people on forums and
chat rooms. We're very grateful to everybody for their feedback.

We're taking some proactive steps without knowing exactly what happened out
in Hawaii. We believe we can make the product even better by shifting our
thinking on the firmware. Up until now, we have recommended that the unit
get charged every couple of months or if the battery level drops below 80%.
Make sure the O-ring is clean and take the Lifeline away and go diving. Is
there if you need it. We now think that it would be better to treat the
Lifeline with the same level of care that a rebreather or other complex
equipment such as a camera is treated i.e. if you're going out on a dive
that may require a Lifeline, it's best to test it and check everything
before you go on the dive. We are going to update the firmware to include a
self diagnostic test that can be performed by the simple touch of a button.
So before you go diving all you have to do is open the lid and press the
button for a couple of seconds and the unit will go into a diagnostic
routine, load test the battery for 4 or 5 seconds and hopefully send a
message that reads “diagnostic check complete, clear to go diving”.

We are also going to switch the display over to continuously show the
percentage of battery level. We're going to modify the button so that the
strobe can be activated without being in the distress mode. And we are going
to adjust the Lifeline desktop software so that a battery conditioning mode
can be activated.

All of these things are intended to tweak and improve what we already hope
is very good functionality on the Lifeline. One of the great things about
the Lifeline is that it is a peripheral computing device which means that
all that an owner of a Lifeline has to do to upgrade the firmware is open
their Lifeline desktop software, click on update, and have their Lifeline
connected to the computer via a USB cord. Everything else should happen
automatically.

We welcome all suggestions and feedback and ideas on anything we can do to
make this great product even better. Our goal remains “Get found. Fast”.
Please don't hesitate to write.

Captain Mike Lever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom