Navigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lateralus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Greetings. I have about 50+ dives under my belt but I’ve always dived with a dive master/guide. I will be going to Grand Cayman next week and I will be doing a few shore dives without a guide.This will be a first for me and my wife.

What are the basics of underwater navigation? Any good articles or YouTube videos to get the basics?

I vaguely remember the basics that were covered in my certification (close to 10 years ago).

I remember setting the compass and having to go around a circle and make it back to home base during certification, but that was in a controlled setting. This will be different.

Thanks in advance.

Grand Cayman is very easy to shore dive ….seriously.....take a compass heading to the mini wall which is straight out from shore ….the mini wall runs parallel to the shore then just take a reciprocal heading back to shore...…. I have probably only done about 200 shore dives there......Once you get to Cayman you will see how easy it is....

Get a compass if you feel you need it.

In general when you shore dive the bottom drops away from the shore (unless you are stuck in a large flat boring expanse). In the Caribbean you should be working with 50 foot plus viz. You should be able to visually decern shore vs deep.

So a compass is not generally necessary as you can tell from the slope which direction is which.

In the Caribbean we find a compass is sometimes useful in a night dive. Daytime, never needed.

I can’t say for other places but when I stayed at sunset divers, they essentially gave you directions.... “enter at the salt pool, go 100’ through the corridor made by the reef, there’s a mermaid statue, then head east....”.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom