Navy Diving Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ledznvrdead

Reaction score
I've been considering becoming a Navy Diver for quite some time now but I think I'm finally ready to take the plunge. That being said, I had a couple of questions that hopefully someone out there can answer for me. The most important one is whether or not you can be guaranteed dive school before signing up for the Navy. Assuming that you can, I am interested in joining either the Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit or the Navy Experimental Dive Unit. I'm very curious for a former serviceman's perspective on what a typical day is like for either of these units. Also I am interested in possibly doing some commercial work after leaving the Navy. Any information is greatly appreciated.

I've heard you aren't guaranteed a slot from the Navy, now the Army however you can be. =) 21D is the MOS. You'll still go to the Navy Dive school as well. BUT get anything in writting and do you research!!! Ask questions, be a @$$ if you have to be. Also I hope you're in really good shape.

Hmmmmmm NEDU where a seaman can get pushed to the limits of the human body, get bent, AGE'd on pupose, and deal with Hypobaricosteonecrosis uh NO THANKS. LOL

Army two ways, by MOS (Job title) it is guarenteed in writing and the Army is giving FAT $$$$$ for enlistment. Other way Combat diver like me My MOS + special identifier W7. NOT guarenteed + the hardest school the Army has. It is much like BUDS difference is it is in Key West (WARM WATER). Just the nature of the beast. Pay for 00B or 21D (whatever the MOS code it is now) goes up to like $350 extra per month that is for Master Diver Rating (1 step below Jesus in the Diving world) or $215 for combat dive pay but you have to be Ranger or Special Forces to get Combat Diver.

Interesting. I don't think the physical challenge would be too much for me to handle, I had some pretty intense training in high school water polo (5am practices, three times a day in the summer). I'd just have to make sure that I got myself in better shape then I'm in now before I actually went off to training. If I were to go the Army route where is a typical place to be stationed. Also if someone could explain some of the basic differences between the Army vs. Navy. Thanks.

Hope that helps a little I put NAV and Army pay chart in there. ALL the Dive schools are hard, they all take BIG EGGS, (notice the non gender spacific Courage reference)Be Cool and whatever you do talk to a VET before you enlist in any service if you want to get what you want. Sorry I can not help you with the NAV side BUT MY SUGGESTION is if you are hard enough go AIR FORCE yes they have Divers. Pararescue and Combat Control Teams. they are Combat diver, HALO, ABN, and Paramedics or Air Traffic Controller when they finish school. Check it out. BUT that is the hardest way to go by far Army Ranger/SF, AF PJ/CCT, and NAV SEAL/USMC Force RECON all go to the same dive program. They have tri service instructors at all CD Schools. LMK If I can help
A

HAHAHA Jesus of the Diving World. Yeah the new MOS code is 21D. I guess we are 68Ws now(soon)...

Also I gotta go with Doc on this one NEDU is some crazy $h!t. No way you'd get me near it.

As far as salvage (army or navy)....get ready to work your butt off; scraping, cleaning, dredeging etc. There is nothing glorifying about any of it. If that's what you want go be a Firefighter, they get paid better too.

Or go ride the short bus ("special boys") with the SF types like AquaDoc.

BALLS IT TAKES BALLS! Brass ones, stainless steel ones don't be shy. LOL

Yeah PJ's are damned good, a lot of friends over there. It's the way to go if you wanna be a high speed medic.

I guess my last post came kinda late....

Ledznvrdead:
Interesting. I don't think the physical challenge would be too much for me to handle, I had some pretty intense training in high school water polo (5am practices, three times a day in the summer). I'd just have to make sure that I got myself in better shape then I'm in now before I actually went off to training. If I were to go the Army route where is a typical place to be stationed. Also if someone could explain some of the basic differences between the Army vs. Navy. Thanks.

It's a good start, start doing push-ups, sit-ups and running as well. And don't smoke...sorry but I made that mistake.

Navy stations divers everywhere....think Alaska, fun.

Army as a 21D you would be in Hawaii (with AquaDoc and me), Fort Lenordwood, MO (pushing paper and training) or Fort Eustis, VA.

As far as "special types" anywhere you are needed, diving or not.

The Navy used to give a guarantee it was called the Divefarer program. I retired almost 4 years ago so I don't know if they still have it or not. You can call any recruiter up and he can tell you if they still have it. But it will not give you follow on orders after dive school. You will be at the mercy of the detailer. And let me tell you, I know plenty of guys who were at NEDU and it is a crap job for a boot diver. You want to go anywhere else and get some water time under your belt. If you go to NEDU you will just be doing a lot of cleaning and turning valves.

Coming from the recruiting command, we had to know just about everything about the other services. The Navy can only guarantee certain jobs(technical field), diving is not one of them. USAF does not give you a choice in any particular field, they tell you what your going to be doing.

Back
Top Bottom