Navy Diving Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squalus:
Coming from the recruiting command, we had to know just about everything about the other services. The Navy can only guarantee certain jobs(technical field), diving is not one of them. USAF does not give you a choice in any particular field, they tell you what your going to be doing.
I was a navy diver from 1972-1976 the school is hard you bust your butt.but it is one of the best. you can be stationed any where my first station was adak alaska.But then i was in exmouth australia. When I got out I went to work as a commerical diver and have been doing that sence I got out.
Mike

I guess my smart comment about Alaska wasn't that far off.

Squalus:
Coming from the recruiting command, we had to know just about everything about the other services. The Navy can only guarantee certain jobs(technical field), diving is not one of them. USAF does not give you a choice in any particular field, they tell you what your going to be doing.

Sorry Squalus but they could guarantee Dive school, not that you would actually make it through dive school. As I said, I don't know if they still have the program but they did because I had guys who worked for me that had gone through it. It was available for Divers, EOD and SEAL's they would go through boot camp together, have extra PT, then go to their "A" school (Engineman, Quartermaster etc.) then onto whichever of the three diving fields they picked. It was a six year obligation and if you didn't make it through the training you still had to go to the fleet and work in their rate for their enlistment

Deepseabob:
Sorry Squalus but they could guarantee Dive school, not that you would actually make it through dive school. As I said, I don't know if they still have the program but they did because I had guys who worked for me that had gone through it. It was available for Divers, EOD and SEAL's they would go through boot camp together, have extra PT, then go to their "A" school (Engineman, Quartermaster etc.) then onto whichever of the three diving fields they picked. It was a six year obligation and if you didn't make it through the training you still had to go to the fleet and work in their rate for their enlistment
No
alaska was very different. i had a lot of fun not a lot diving but a lot of partys.
Mike :D

Deepseabob:

How long ago was that?

Squalus:
How long ago was that?

I retired three and a half years ago so from that point on I don't know

Deepseabob:
I retired three and a half years ago so from that point on I don't know

Times have changed they can no longer offer that in writing. You have to wait till after you are in the Navy to get to that school. Providing that a training seat is open and the school is available.

Mike King:
No
alaska was very different. i had a lot of fun not a lot diving but a lot of partys.
Mike :D

Alaska is the bomb.... Where else can yor go and see Mr. C's house and the North Pole? Saw it back in the 90's during Desert Storm, was up there helping out the secrete squirel gang :wink: .
Just got to watch out for the moose along the highway when driving......LOL

Does any one know the Navy divers sea/shore rotation if there is one, or if they get put on a ship for an extended period of time?

Back
Top Bottom