NAVY Seal rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Navy top schools generally use 2 rules of thumb; build a foundation of information from which the students build from and stress the students to the max to see if they can handle it. If they can't retain, use and build from the information or handle the stress they do not complete the school. After school SEALS train and train and do more training in all areas. In the Navy and the military in general training and learning never stops its a continuous process through out a career. Yes some of the training is taught very quickly and some of the civilian requirements are bypassed but there are numerous safeties built into these schools with student safety in mind. But all this is for a reason. BUDS, Nuclear Power School, and spook schools all use these to see if students can make the cut. The theory is if you can't cut it in a controlled environment you won't be able to when the bullets start flying and the #$% is hitting the fan. This theory is tried and tested the Navy has been using it for 30+ years.

to put this in perspective on military training verses training for us "recreational divers"....

the Air Force starts pilots out flying turbine (jet) aircraft... not some little small Cessna 150 or 172 like we do as recreational/private pilots.

Generally after each week the bottom third are gone. Gets rid of the dead wood real quick. In my Nuke school class (back in '74) we started with about 60 folks and graduated 11. Only about 4 of us made it through prototype after that (They used to stick you on an actual reactor plant out in the middle of the Idaho desert and drill you for 6 months).

I would say that guy was a poser. He is probably referring to the EAB unit (emergency air breathing) it had a vibrator and bell triggered by low pressure. Same thing as used by firefighters. It was used for fire fighting and other non-underwater hazards, though it was supposedly good to 15 feet...

Mike

mikerault:
Generally after each week the bottom third are gone. Gets rid of the dead wood real quick. In my Nuke school class (back in '74) we started with about 60 folks and graduated 11. Only about 4 of us made it through prototype after that (They used to stick you on an actual reactor plant out in the middle of the Idaho desert and drill you for 6 months).

Mike

S1W or S5G?

My brother trained and taught on S1W and I trained on S5G.

I was there too late to play with the hull afloat. :(

Hard to believe that was nigh on 30 years ago.

So long ago I think I messed up the numbers.

S5G is (I think) a newer plant use in lots of subs and the proto in the desert in Idaho was an S3G.
Can anyone tell me the special feature of that plant?

mike_s:
to put this in perspective on military training verses training for us "recreational divers"....

the Air Force starts pilots out flying turbine (jet) aircraft... not some little small Cessna 150 or 172 like we do as recreational/private pilots.

Uh, the academy guys are trained in T-41s; your everyday C-172. :D

A1W, the prototype of the Enterprise and I believe it was S5G for the Narwall, originally for a sodium based coolant loop, however, proved to have too much activation so they had to abandon it and go back to water. The S1W was for the Nautilus.

Now my trivia question...what was SL1 and what year was the A1W reactor compartment fire?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom