NC coast diving tips and tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBadger32

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
anyone have any recommendations for wrecks off the coast of southern NC? My buddy and I are gonna take aquatic safaris, (he’s been with them before), and was wondering what wrecks y’all loved!

Also, any tips/tricks for wreck diving off of the coast of NC? Thanks!

Also, any tips/tricks for wreck diving off of the coast of NC? Thanks!
Aquatic Safaris goes to the Hyde a lot. It’s a good dive and usually has a few sand tigers on it. It’s 18 miles offshore. The farther you get offshore the better the vis gets.

Some of my favorite wrecks out of Wrightsville Beach are the Normannia, Cassimir, and the City of Houston.

If you get seasick plan ahead. I take Bonine the night before and the morning of. The boat rides can be long and bouncy at times.

This isn’t resort diving. There isn’t a guide in the water (although you could pay for one). You switch your own tanks over.

I like Aquatic Safaris. They run a professional charter. Have fun.

Aquatic Safaris goes to the Hyde a lot. It’s a good dive and usually has a few sand tigers on it. It’s 18 miles offshore. The farther you get offshore the better the vis gets.

Some of my favorite wrecks out of Wrightsville Beach are the Normannia, Cassimir, and the City of Houston.

If you get seasick plan ahead. I take Bonine the night before and the morning of. The boat rides can be long and bouncy at times.

This isn’t resort diving. There isn’t a guide in the water (although you could pay for one). You switch your own tanks over.

I like Aquatic Safaris. They run a professional charter. Have fun.
Ever been to the WD-4? Really want to do it with my buddy.

Ever been to the WD-4? Really want to do it with my buddy.
I’m not familiar with the WD-4.

The John D Gill is called the WR4 sometimes if that’s what you mean. It’s a good dive. I’ve seen octopus and sand tigers there.

The John D Gill is called the WR4 sometimes if that’s what you mean. It’s a good dive. I’ve seen octopus and sand tigers there.
I definitely mean that, was using WD-40 today sooooo that probably led me to that

Would you say it’s better or worse or part of the Hyde/markham

Would you say it’s better or worse or part of the Hyde/markham
The John D Gill is a nice dive if you want to see sea life. As for the ship itself, it is nothing more than a string of twisted metal. The ship was sunk in WW2 by a German sub. Years ago, the state of NC decided to place a buoy by the ship held in place by a concrete anchor. Well wouldn't you know, a hurricane came thru and dragged the anchor thru the ship breaking it in half. Since then, tides and other storms along with the years spent in the salt water have reduced the ship to an unrecognizable mess. The debris has spread out so much that the dive boat will tie up at either the bow or stern of the wreck with a very strong warning not to follow the debris field to the other end as you will not have enough air to get back.

The Hyde, on the other hand, is for the most part intact. It is one of my favorite wrecks. It sits upright in around 85 fsw. It is a much newer wreck than the Gill so has not deteriorated nearly as much. If you can catch it on an inbound tide the viz should be excellent.

Both of these wrecks are very close to each other. The first time I went out with Aquatic Safaris we did both wrecks.

I've not dived the Markham so can't speak to that one. I do know it rests on its side, though.

If you are on a busy site with multiple boats, pay attention to which up line is yours. You don’t want to be that guy who comes up the wrong line. I’ll second the recommendation to take seasickness meds. Take them early too. I’ve seen more than one guy pop one in the harbor just to puke it up moments later. We usually dive out of Morehead City and some of my favorite sites are the Papoose, Hardee’s, and Caribsea.

Back
Top Bottom