NC Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I posted sometime back in regards to diving NC wrecks, and I want to thank again all of those that replied. My wife and I dove with Olympus Dive Center in Morehead City, excellent op very helpful and they know what they are doing.

Anyone that may be thinking about a trip like this you definitly want to make sure you have a few extra days to make up dives if you get blown out...happened once to us.

You can get in three dives a day if you can handle it, it is amazing how rought 3ft seas can be but its not impossible just make sure you can hack it.

If you are experienced or novice a guide the first day is a good idea, we used one for our first two days and the next two we did solo...

The U352 is an aswome dive but no relief to it so your basically at 100-110 ft so its a fairly short dive but well worth it.

Well, just thought I would throw that out to those considering a trip like this lots of fun and great experience for newer divers but again get a guide.

Thanks again for all the input

Thanks for the comments. I'll be there with a group Aug. 25-29. I'm looking forward to it.
Exposure protection: 3mm or 5mm? Hood? Gloves? Water temp?

Thanks.

Assuming this is South of Hatteras, unless there is an upwelling you can expect mid to high 70s on the bottom in late August. I recommend a full suit for protection. A 3mm or even a skin would probably be fine. Personally, I always wear a hood and gloves, but most people don't wear a hood this time of year.

IG,

I dove with a 5mm and was perfect during the dive and during my surface interval. I would say if you get cold easy 5 would be good, if not then a 3 would do the trick. One person on our dives was using a shorty (he payed with stings from jelly fish). The water temp at depth was in the 72-75 range but hit a thermalkline every dive on one dive it was just at the depth we were at and were in for a few minutes, did not bother me kinda refreshing but others did say they wish they had a 5mm.

I did hear that towards the end of August is when they get the best water temp maybe it was early september and the water is close to 80 at depth.

Have fun

Definitly gloves just for protection from the jellies and other sharp objects is you collect some shark teeth off the wreck, I did not use a hood but again if you get cold then may want to use it.

Thanks for the input. I feel better prepared and anxious to do the dives.

Your welcome....have a blast....

I will be diving the U-352 on October 8th with Discovery Diving Co. Hopefully the water is still somewhat warm. I plan on using a 5mm. Hopefully it works out okay. I can't wait. Am looking forward to it. Any good marine life on that dive?

FWIW... We were blown out this weekend as well coming out of Wilmington. Saturday, we were going to head out to the ledges but with the seas steep and close the ledges were out... If not for the lost of a motor (twin screw) we were heading out to the Hyde but ended up only limping over to the Alexander Ramsey (Liberty ship) and although shallow @50' I was more than warm enough in a 3/2 shorty...

lee

I will be diving the U-352 on October 8th with Discovery Diving Co. Hopefully the water is still somewhat warm. I plan on using a 5mm. Hopefully it works out okay. I can't wait. Am looking forward to it. Any good marine life on that dive?

ok, you'll *hopefully* be diving the 352 on that day. if another place has better conditions, your captain may go to the other place. yes, they really try to go to the 352 if that's what you want, but they'd rather give you a good dive somewhere else than sit on top of the 352 where nobody can enjoy the dive because of vis or current or zombie jellyfish.

and try to keep a couple of other days open for diving in case oct 8 is blown out - if the wind is whipping at 0600, the boat is very unlikely to leave the dock. you won't have to pay if it's the boat's decision, but if you have some days to spare it's more likely you'll get to go. october is wonderful diving! usually warm, usually nice weather.

it's not a site that's usually rich in marine life. however, that being said, i saw the only green moray i've seen in nc there! so look into the nooks, keep a close eye on your gas, and i hope you enjoy yourself.

It's been blowing for five straight days here. None of the Olympus boats went out. It looks to lie down tonight for several good days. The diving has been spectacular so far here this year. Bunches of varied types of sharks all over, particularly on the Papoose (Hutton) which has been overrun with a pack of Caribbean reefs and other NASTY (Not A Sand Tiger Y'all) types.
I'm pretty much a 5mm guy all year long.
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom