• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

NCL costa Maya and belize, which one to dive, through NCL or indy

Discussion in 'Cruises' started by john stinson, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Pat.D

Pat.D Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I don't remember all the options, but yes many mainland excursions (which include pickup on the island) were offered thru the cruise line. I think they also recently added a ferry service to Placencia on the mainland following many complaints from passengers who want to book private excursions. I may be wrong but I think it's around $20-$25 per person.

2. FinMaky

FinMaky Garibaldi

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Thank you for this. One more question. Drift dive in Cozumel. How easy was it? I have a newly certified partner, so I want to be able to assist her if needed. I'm DM with some experience (200 dives) so I can keep eye on her, but if current then you just need to focus too much on keeping close. Clever thing to do is dive before Cozumel too, so she gets her diving orientated and is relaxed to start with, but I do want to do some shore activities too.

3. Pat.D

Pat.D Angel Fish

It's not bad at all... they are used to having cruise ship divers with varying levels of experience so they separate them in groups. On our first dive the more experienced divers went a bit deeper on the side of the reef wall where the current can zoom you away if you stray too far away from the wall, the less experienced divers (we had 3 or 4 newly certified divers on the boat) dived on top of the reef where the current is not as strong.

It is a great dive if you want to get your partner hooked on diving :)

FinMaky likes this.
  4. Kharon

Kharon Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I would avaid Belize and Roatan/Honduras totally.

5. Pat.D

Pat.D Angel Fish

To each our own of course...

Personally I've been to Belize and Roatan at least 10 times and love both places, they have their charm. On the other hand, I will not set foot in mainland Honduras.

6. Altamira

Altamira ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    @FinMaky. I do not wish to hijack Pat.D's very helpful trip report, but also wanted to chime in about new diver drift diving in Coz. FWIW, I took my newly minted OW diver wife and young Jr. OW grandson (not at the same time) on their first ocean dives in Coz. It was no problem for either of them, and they had wonderful, safe dives. I would not hesitate to take your partner to Coz.

Pat.D and FinMaky like this.