NCL Dawn 11/02/11 thru 11/13/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brucetrinity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings, I am cruising NCL (Norwegian Cruise Lines) from Miami on 11/02 thru 11/13. Ports are Samana, Tortola, St. Maarten, Antiqua, Dominica, Barbados, and St. Kitts. Anyone else on this cruise ??? I am not opposed to NCL excursions but they seem to have dropped most of their Scuba excursions. Any recommendations for dive ops in the above ports? Thanks, Bruce

My dive group and I are heading to many of the same ports of call as you in 2012 - we have a couple of blogs with port specific information that includes dive operator info, dive sites, etc. Since we update these bogs almost daily, there's a ton of info, but it may take time to search for it. Make sure you also use the tabs.

We aren't going to St. Kitts this year, but dove there before - Kenneth's has their dive boat in the marina that's walking distance - you can google them and get additional information. They are a great dive operation that unlike a lot in the Caribbean, has had the same dive staffing the boats for years. I highly recommend them.

I wouldn't dive in the Dominican Republic - been there, done that - the best dive sites (and there are many) are too far. Skip St. Maarten and Antigua - our dive group won't be diving there either, despite they too are on our itinerary. I recomend you dive in St. Kitts, Dominica, Tortola (the wreck of the Rhone) and Barbados. Top three in the bunch are #1 Dominica (the Pinacles), #2 Barbados (Shark Reef is excellent) #3 Tortola (novelty factor - rent the movie "The Deep" and dive the wreck of the Rhone).

Here are our Blogs:

Dive Group Bolg - Good dive port info, articles, etc.

Dive Boat Manifest - Dive specific info, with dive site dive operator information

Non-Divers Blog - good port maps, with info on beaches, things to do in port, etc.

Good luck!

Thanks for the links! I'll take your advise (which is similar to threads I've read) regarding best ports. Did the Rhone about 5 years ago but definitely worth another dive. A fun movie (and who doesn't like Jacqueline Bisset in a wet T-shirt) .....

Greetings, I am cruising NCL (Norwegian Cruise Lines) from Miami on 11/02 thru 11/13. Ports are Samana, Tortola, St. Maarten, Antiqua, Dominica, Barbados, and St. Kitts. Anyone else on this cruise ??? I am not opposed to NCL excursions but they seem to have dropped most of their Scuba excursions. Any recommendations for dive ops in the above ports? Thanks, Bruce

My Wife and I will be on the same cruise. I plan to dive in Barbados. Don't know with whom yet. I will be following your thread for advice.

Maybe we'll see each other. I haven't made any decisions yet but I have emailed a few dive ops and everyone seems very professional and friendly. As the cruise gets nearer I'll start making a few decisions (how many dives/which islands/which dive ops) and I'll update this thread.

I am on the same cruise. My friend and I are still trying to figure out where to dive. I've been certified since 2001 but really only dive on vacation. My friend is newly certified and this trip will be his first caribbean dive experience. I also have a 2nd friend who will be newly certified but her diving times will be more limited because of her family.

What dive locations/shops did you all decide on? And would you welcome more to your dive group?

I wil only be diving in Barbados. I have contacted ECO Dive. Seems everyone who has dove with them has given them 5 stars. Has anyone else made diving plans yet?
5 weeks to go

Hi Donny and Kelly. Getting close !!! I haven't made any decisions yet but have contacted a few shops. Maybe we can get together for a few dives. I'll probably make a decision shortly. In my case, since my wife doesn't dive, I try to dive at locations where my wife can do something else of interest and leave some ports where we can both do something.

My Wife loves to snorkel, no diving. For the same reasons as yours Bruce, I will only be diving in Barbados. Bruce and Kelly, give ECO dive an e-mail. All reviews point to them as the best dive shop on our itinerary. I already reserved space on a charter. We arrive at Barbados at 7am on Nov. 9th. They will pick me up at the terminal for an 8:15am 2-tank dive. Hope to meet you guys on board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom