Near Death Experience!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, I wouldn't want to take one of those with me. This item's a small, mouth-powered horn, roughly 2" in diameter and 4" long, that you blow through a hole in the side. From some not-very-scientific testing that I did with my kids, it's much louder than those little dog whistles that most of us carry. It's also a USCG approved signaling device. I'll try to find the name of the item and post it. I didn't have any luck on the Bass Pro web site.

-G

Went back there in June of this year, after a three year absense. This time, I had an experienced dive buddy that I knew. Our first dive briefing, the divemaster stated: "If you go low on air, and your buddy still has plenty, surface alone, and we'll pick you up."

I retorted: "Then that's NOT a dive buddy, just someone with you're swimming with, in the same ocean!"

Their rental equipment (tanks "O" rings) was poorly maintained as I saw steady bubble streams coming from the first stage of several divers, divemasters included.

I did a LOT of soul searching, because several of these Jamaicans are friends of mine, but decided to have PADI investigate them, for the safety of future divers. You have to understand, not everyone is experienced, as I am now, and someone might die, if they don't get a "Reality Check"!

LuvsItWet:
I retorted: "Then that's NOT a dive buddy, just someone with you're swimming with, in the same ocean!"

I consider my responsibility as a buddy to stay by their side, and I usually have more air than they do, but it's part of the job IMO. I go over that in my briefing with my buddy, I expect us to remain together and if one of us runs low what I expect.

In the beginning I was like you and would have considered this to be ok, but now I look at it as something that I will avoid. I leave the bottom with enough air to support both of us just in case, and my buddy does as well. Why take the risk, of course I'm preaching to the choir here.

LuvsItWet:
Their rental equipment (tanks "O" rings) was poorly maintained as I saw steady bubble streams coming from the first stage of several divers, divemasters included.

I know you say you're experienced now and I did not see the bubbles, but you are aware that on many first stages it is normal to bubble a bit and if they don't you have a problem? Take a Sherwood Blizzard for example. As my buddy and I go over our gear I make a point to tell them that if they observe bubbles coming from my first stage don't worry, it's normal. I do point out to them the location the bubbles come from, it's not from the o ring tank seal area. But it is very close.

In any event, letting others know of shoddy performance is a good thing and I commend you on that. Many divers do trust me dives because they don't have the experience to know otherwise. I used to be one of those. Part of it is the classes we have, too short to really delve into the safety aspects like I think they should.

PS, did you go ahead and dive with them or did you and your buddy agree to a different set of rules?

cummings66:
I consider my responsibility as a buddy to stay by their side, and I usually have more air than they do, but it's part of the job IMO. I go over that in my briefing with my buddy, I expect us to remain together and if one of us runs low what I expect.

In the beginning I was like you and would have considered this to be ok, but now I look at it as something that I will avoid. I leave the bottom with enough air to support both of us just in case, and my buddy does as well. Why take the risk, of course I'm preaching to the choir here.

I know you say you're experienced now and I did not see the bubbles, but you are aware that on many first stages it is normal to bubble a bit and if they don't you have a problem? Take a Sherwood Blizzard for example. As my buddy and I go over our gear I make a point to tell them that if they observe bubbles coming from my first stage don't worry, it's normal. I do point out to them the location the bubbles come from, it's not from the o ring tank seal area. But it is very close.

In any event, letting others know of shoddy performance is a good thing and I commend you on that. Many divers do trust me dives because they don't have the experience to know otherwise. I used to be one of those. Part of it is the classes we have, too short to really delve into the safety aspects like I think they should.

PS, did you go ahead and dive with them or did you and your buddy agree to a different set of rules?

You're absolutely correct! My dive buddy and I agreed on a different set of rules...those being the correct ones. But so many others were new to ocean diving and were nervous putting their rental equipment together. On our first dive, I saw one guy hooking up his first stage, and talk about "blowing in the wind"...I checked mine out, and while the O ring looked worn, I could not detect any hissing, so I decided to go
with it. Once over the side of the boat, I heard a MAJOR HISS from behind my head, and started to call my dive. My buddy was unsuccessful in correcting it, and the dive master said: "Just go down, trust me!" I yelled back: "Hell NO! You guys left me out here 3 yrs ago in heavy seas!" He came over and was able to silence the constant hiss and said I was ok. I did the dive w/o incident. My buddy reported a constant bubble stream though from my first stage. I'm currently a Rescue diver and have one more specialty to go before I make PADI Master Diver.

Mark

I always carry a yellow sausage. But on a trip to Los Roques one of the guys surfaced miles from the boat and had a red one. And it showed up well. Apparently it shows better than yellow or orange. I saw the signal and think that is right.

Then two weeks ago I was told that black is even better (OK - not at night). This wouldn't surprise me as I know colour signals don't always stack up the way you expect. The source was very reliable. Has anyone else heard that?

Since conditions at sea can change rather quickly, i.e. rogue waves, solitons, etc., will the " 6 ft brightly colored weenies" hold up and be visible to boats?

I've been on boats "looking" for divers who have come up further away, or not where expected. Point taken about changing conditions - but the bottom line is you take anything with you that may help - and you try to ensure it is the best possible. That means best colour sausage, dive horn that carries farthest, mirror that flashes brightest etc.

Was very interested in throwing up handfuls of water - having been on watch for dolphins I had already had the curious idea that I saw the splash first rather than the dolphin flying through the air.

Is there anyone on the board who has experience of boat master/captain rather than diver - who can give some tips on how divers can help the boat? Think I'll try another thread to see what info we can get together.

I have a orange sausage myself but yellow shows up very well. As I described last year off Panama City. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=66163
Safety sausage : don't leave home without it.

pelan-pelan:
I always carry a yellow sausage. But on a trip to Los Roques one of the guys surfaced miles from the boat and had a red one. And it showed up well. Apparently it shows better than yellow or orange. I saw the signal and think that is right.

Then two weeks ago I was told that black is even better (OK - not at night). This wouldn't surprise me as I know colour signals don't always stack up the way you expect. The source was very reliable. Has anyone else heard that?

pelan-pelan:
I've been on boats "looking" for divers who have come up further away, or not where expected. Point taken about changing conditions - but the bottom line is you take anything with you that may help - and you try to ensure it is the best possible. That means best colour sausage, dive horn that carries farthest, mirror that flashes brightest etc.

Was very interested in throwing up handfuls of water - having been on watch for dolphins I had already had the curious idea that I saw the splash first rather than the dolphin flying through the air.

Is there anyone on the board who has experience of boat master/captain rather than diver - who can give some tips on how divers can help the boat? Think I'll try another thread to see what info we can get together.

I have over ten years experience full-time as a Guide?instructor and Captain on dive boats out in the PAcific ocean diving and we have had our share of searching for divers that have surfaced away from the boat for various reasons. Here are some tips to help get you home again in one piece:

1) Be prepared physically to be left floating for awhile whenever you enter the water in the ocean. ( if a group becomes split up you can be floating for quite awhile even if the boat knows where you are as they run around picking up the different groups)

2) Have some type of signalling equipment with you. (In order of usefullness to the people of board)

Continuing previous post:
1. Safety sausauge(SMB) I have found yellow to be the easiest to see
2. Signal mirror
3. Whistle/Dive Alert (many times it is useless due to wind )

If you are away from the group or boat send the SMB to the surface ASAP so the boat can track you while you are ascending- an ascent with saftey stop can bring you a long way from the boat in current.

3) Know your limits- if its to rough for you don't get in the water. A one hour float should be an inconvience not a desperate situation if the conditions are too rough for you to handle don't get in.

4)Have good gear- check your gear make sure its functioning

5) Have a good team and stay together- Two are easier to find than one.

Back
Top Bottom