Nearest dive shops to Wetherill/Ft. James

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
What are nearest dives shops for air near Wetherill/Ft. James, Beavertail??

I find on web Pier Dive center in Narraganset and Bubbles Dive Center in Newport. Anyone know which is closest and what their weekend hours are (Fri - Sun)

Pier dive center didn't have hours on their website. (sorry a peev of mine)

Pier dive is usually open to about 5-6, It takes probably about 1.5 hours to reach wetherill from there and pier 5 is almost literally right across the street. Charlie has good customer service and if you ever need a dive partner he can usually hook you up, however his prices are a little high compared to CT. He also lives upstairs from the shop. I have not had any experience with Bubbles Dive Center so I can't help out there.

There used to be a shop in Jamestown but apperantly the owner is in prison for murder now.

Hope this helps

Your saying nearest dive shop for fills is 1 and 1/2 away from Wetherill?? It's the traffic right?
A bunch of us from NH are coming down to spend the weekend and dive the area. I personally want to get a lot of dives in including a night dive so want to know options for fills.

Yeah, I remember about the guy trying to off his wife.

Tx

Giant Stride in Warwick is my favorite shop. The owner is a rabid diver and usually very helpful. He's also got BY FAR the best retail selection of any shop in the area. It's fairly easy to get to from I-95 on the way to Wetherill if you're coming from the North on 95. It is near T.F. Green Airport. He also does Nitrox fills if you need them. It is probably about 40 minutes to Wetherill from that shop unless you catch bad traffic.

If you come down 24 through Newport instead if I-95, Newport Diving Center would be your best bet but Newport Traffic/Parking can be a bear. It is a toll bridge to cross between Newport and Jamestown. It is not far it terms of distance but it might take you 45 minutes to get there from Ft Wetherill with traffic. Probably 20 minutes without traffic.

The nearest shops to Ft. Wetherill are Anderson's Ski and Dive in North Kingstown and Pier Dive in Narragansett. I wouldn't recommend either shop for much more than fills. Pier Dive has nitrox, Anderson's only fills air. Pier Dive is closer to the beaches so if you go at the wrong time of the day and catch beach traffic it can take a bit more time to get there. With beach traffic could be 1 hr from Wetherill, without traffic it is probably more like 25 minutes. Anderson's is probably 25 minutes most of the time. But like I said, don't expect much more than fills from these shops.

Regarding Bubbles Dive Shop, I am not 100% sure but I think they are out of business.

Last edited:
Try Newport Dive Center. You would have to pay tolls to cross the bridge ($2.00 each way). I suggest you call them to verify their hours.

Newport Diving Center - The Store

By the way, the former operator of the (now closed) dive shop in Jamestown hasn't been convicted of a crime in relation to his wife's death. He lost the case brought against him in civil court, partly due to a lack of adequate representation. Civil court doesn't have the "beyond a reasonable doubt" requirement that criminal court has.

--
Joe Piolunek

Try Newport Dive Center. You would have to pay tolls to cross the bridge ($2.00 each way). I suggest you call them to verify their hours.

Newport Diving Center - The Store

By the way, the former operator of the (now closed) dive shop in Jamestown hasn't been convicted of a crime in relation to his wife's death. He lost the case brought against him in civil court, partly due to a lack of adequate representation. Civil court doesn't have the "beyond a reasonable doubt" requirement that criminal court has.

--
Joe Piolunek
I remember him. A bearded guy. we got our tanks filled there for years. His first location was way better then after he moved

Sorry mistyped, wetherill is probably half an hour depending on traffic conditions.

Doesn't look too promising for this weekend with winds (at least on Saturday) expected to be 10-15 out of the South.

Come September 8'th the toll increases to $4 each way for cash paying customers (and out of state drivers). If you're a RI resident and have an EZ-Pass transponder then the toll will stay at $2 per crossing. Out of state drivers will be hit with the full increase here as well. Tolls are scheduled to rise from year roughly every three years. Gotta love RI....

-- Matt

Come September 8'th the toll increases to $4 each way for cash paying customers (and out of state drivers). If you're a RI resident and have an EZ-Pass transponder then the toll will stay at $2 per crossing. Out of state drivers will be hit with the full increase here as well. Tolls are scheduled to rise from year roughly every three years. Gotta love RI....

-- Matt

Actually; us pass holding Rhode Islanders will still be paying $.83! Geez . . . we finally get a break.:D

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 12, 2009

JAMESTOWN, R.I.—Commuters to and from Newport will have to pay extra starting next month.

The Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority voted 3-1 on Wednesday to increase the cash toll for cars on the Claiborne Pell Bridge from $2 to $4, said chairman David Darlington. The toll for trucks and commercial will double to $2 per axle.

It is the first toll increase since the bridge opened 40 years ago. It goes into effect Sept. 8.

Rhode Island E-Z Pass users will still have to pay only 83 cents. But E-Z Pass users from out of state will pay $4.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom