Necessary equipment for snorkeling / free diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I already have mask and fins. I would like to buy a wetsuit for snorkeling, I would use it in the Philippines (also as a protection from the sun) and in Italy during summer.

As for free diving, I will probably need belt and weights, and a buoy with flag (I think)

Please pardon my ignorance... Do you use a computer also in freediving like you do in scuba diving?

For snorkeling the surface you would want a wetsuit and a freediving wetsuit would be great but any wetsuit would do. But there is a lot to learn about freediving, breath hold diving, apnea, and it is super dangerous to do incorrectly and actually more dangerous to do solo than scuba (sigh—-I want to do it solo SO MUCH). There are computers and special gear and classes. Italy is a great place to learn. Online there is https://forums.deeperblue.com/:
Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum - Powered by vBulletin

We carry just about anything you would want for freediving. Many freedivers consider a freedive watch an essential piece of equipment - since it is used to track their depth and time underwater and also their rest time on the surface (which is very important).

We always recommend that people take a freedive course before engaging in the sport. It will enhance your safety and probably your enjoyment.

If your goal is casual snorkeling, and you don't intent to go deeper than a few feet, then training is not so much of an issue.

Thank you very much for the suggestions
I am aware of the risks if I start this sport I would like to do that with other experienced people here in Italy. Honestly I don't like diving alone, even in simple scuba dives, you never know what might happen

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders , there is always safety in numbers !
Have fun snorkeling / free diving !
Sea Dwellers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom