NEDU Study

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The science is on my side here.... I insist on the truth prevailing.... because I have to make the software that produces these deco programs, and there is no room for vague math and vivid imaginations in that.

You really want to take it there?

If you really want to play the credibility card then you are asking us to choose who to believe...

1) a group of internationally recognized decompression science experts who conducted and published a peer reviewed and almost universally accepeted piece of highly clarifying empirical research.

or

2) A computer programmer who potentially sees years of effort going up in smoke.

You really don't want to be playing that card.

... and yes initially I carefully studied your posts and diagrams in other threads (in this thread I didn't see the need to do so again) and I concluded that the work and the arguments would not hold up to scrutiny. I don't see a need to explain why in this post. Simon and others have done a thorough job of refuting your arguments already. What no one mentioned that I remember is that your graphs use differing scales to compress time and make the curves look different depending on what is convenient to you. In other words, presenting apples and oranges..... which is exacltly what the NEDU study did NOT do.

R..

You really want to take it there?

If you really want to play the credibility card then you are asking us to choose who to believe...

1) a group of internationally recognized decompression science experts who conducted and published a peer reviewed and almost universally accepeted piece of highly clarifying empirical research.

or

2) A computer programmer who potentially sees years of effort going up in smoke.

You really don't want to be playing that card.

... and yes initially I carefully studied your posts and diagrams in other threads (in this thread I didn't see the need to do so again) and I concluded that the work and the arguments would not hold up to scrutiny. I don't see a need to explain why in this post. Simon and others have done a thorough job of refuting your arguments already. What no one mentioned that I remember is that your graphs use differing scales to compress time and make the curves look different depending on what is convenient to you. In other words, presenting apples and oranges..... which is exacltly what the NEDU study did NOT do.

R..

Thanks for your comments

You are proposing a reputation vs facts argument. I guess that's why its so difficult, and divided... it depends on ones priorities.

The people who did this test, are not the problem. It's the people trying to promote and elevate this nedu test to tech level interpretations that is the issue. Their effort to match the nedu test to tech world practices, is not valid. There has been no valid science presented to make this connection - it's all opinion based only - associations and explanations, of which so far, it does not stand up to analysis.

The same underlying science measures that the nedu test validates itself with, is used below to show the nedu test is not related to tech practices.

Here is a different view, all scaled by time. This one shows individual cell lines.

sm_sscompare_cells2.png

Last edited:
The science is on my side here.... I insist on the truth prevailing.... because I have to make the software that produces these deco programs, and there is no room for vague math and vivid imaginations in that.

Ross, I'm sorry but I have to say this is bordering on delusional. There is no evidence whatsoever that bubble models are superior to anything else. If there is, please cite it. On the other hand, there is an emerging body of evidence that suggests bubble models may over-emphasise deep stops. That is the current state of the science. For you to claim anything else is simply unsupportable.

The people who did this test, are not the problem. It's the people trying to promote and elevate this nedu test to tech level interpretations that is the issue.

Your implication that the NEDU study authors somehow don't believe that their results are relevant to technical diving is patently false. The lead author has been involved in many of these debates with you, and has clearly endorsed the view their findings are potentially relevant to decompression strategies used in technical diving. Can I remind you that he was the one who first produced the integral supersaturation comparisons between the NEDU profiles and VPM-B+7.

Simon M

Last edited:
. . .
You are proposing a reputation vs facts argument. I guess that's why its so difficult, and divided... it depends on ones priorities.

The people who did this test, are not the problem. It's the people trying to promote and elevate this nedu test to tech level interpretations that is the issue. Their effort to match the nedu test to tech world practices, is not valid. There has been no valid science presented to make this connection - it's all opinion based only - associations and explanations, of which so far, it does not stand up to analysis. . .

. . .Getting off the bottom (that is, skipping the deep stops) can reduce tissue loading in intermediate and slow tissues. No matter what is done at depth, prolonging shallow stop time is effective at reducing VGE in individuals predisposed to develop them. Other strategies might work, but I am most impressed by those based on credible evidence. I call prolonged shallow stops really cheap insurance.

Neal Pollock Ph.D

https://www.ccrexplorers.com/community/threads/diving-tooh-carefully.18348/page-18#post-178445

Last edited:
. . .Getting off the bottom (that is, skipping the deep stops) can reduce tissue loading in intermediate and slow tissues. No matter what is done at depth, prolonging shallow stop time is effective at reducing VGE in individuals predisposed to develop them. Other strategies might work, but I am most impressed by those based on credible evidence. I call prolonged shallow stops really cheap insurance.
Neal Pollock Ph.D

Yes, I agree, the extended shallow time does lower stress. That has been the basic method of conservatism, both taught and used, for 40+ years of diving. i.e. to lower stress and risk, pad the shallow time longer.

But that's not the issue being discussed. The topic is the nedu test and its validity to tech diving. Does the nedu shallow model test procedure and its results, have context and relevance to tech diving?

I have shown clearly, the nedu was not a test of deep stops, and does not represent tech practices, and the imagined connection to VPM-B does not exist.

Did you examine the diagrams Kevin? Do you see now how the descriptions you made before, are not correct? I imagine you're stuck in a bit of a bind - the Dr. who treated you in Truk, is also the man driving this agenda for change.

From your own descriptions, the bad experience was because you undercut the shallow time. You were following a plan made from ad-hoc ratio deco styled rules, that bypassed the underlying basic gas kinetic formula, and that eventually created a situation where risk grew into injury. i.e. overlooked the basics of gas kinetics, failed to heed the wisdom of multi-day restrictions.

However, real models, like VPM-B, like full ZHL-C, like many used in dive computers, these all follow the basic gas kinetic formula. Any extra time spent deep, is correctly compensated by extra shallow time. There is nothing broken or in need of fixing here - real models already have the correct formula and proper responses inbuilt.

Of course none will predict or protect against the multi-day problem, because that issue is not a math problem - it's a stamina and fatigue issue.

I think what's really happening here, is this:

A finger needs to be pointed at some of the faulty RD methods and some of its strangest deco theory explanations. But no one wants to be that brave.

The nedu test gets incorrectly interpreted, quoted out of context, over hyped and used as a distraction against everything involving deeper stops.

VPM-B gets blamed for the above and is used as a scape-goat and a proxy for all the problems of others.

Some people see this opportunity, to insist on the use of what Neal Pollock described above. To force the use of longer, slower timed, lower stress profiles, but also to sneak it in under a false premise.

Please let me be clear: Everyone is free to choose their deco level and to make it as fast or slow, fat or skinny as they please. We sell programming tools to satisfy all sides of this argument.

However, those who prefer the slow long shallow version, are not permitted to make up false or self-justifications for it. The current selection of successful planning methods will not be altered, just so the slow ones can fell better about their choice.

Sigh.

I'm amazed people are still going at this.

edit: BTW, the typically recommended GF for air diving (with or without O2 deco) in my region is 80/80

Yes, I agree, the extended shallow time does lower stress. That has been the basic method of conservatism, both taught and used, for 40+ years of diving. i.e. to lower stress and risk, pad the shallow time longer.

But that's not the issue being discussed. The topic is the nedu test and its validity to tech diving. Does the nedu shallow model test procedure and its results, have context and relevance to tech diving?

I have shown clearly, the nedu was not a test of deep stops, and does not represent tech practices, and the imagined connection to VPM-B does not exist.

Did you examine the diagrams Kevin? Do you see now how the descriptions you made before, are not correct? I imagine you're stuck in a bit of a bind - the Dr. who treated you in Truk, is also the man driving this agenda for change.

From your own descriptions, the bad experience was because you undercut the shallow time. You were following a plan made from ad-hoc ratio deco styled rules, that bypassed the underlying basic gas kinetic formula, and that eventually created a situation where risk grew into injury. i.e. overlooked the basics of gas kinetics, failed to heed the wisdom of multi-day restrictions.

However, real models, like VPM-B, like full ZHL-C, like many used in dive computers, these all follow the basic gas kinetic formula. Any extra time spent deep, is correctly compensated by extra shallow time. There is nothing broken or in need of fixing here - real models already have the correct formula and proper responses inbuilt.

Of course none will predict or protect against the multi-day problem, because that issue is not a math problem - it's a stamina and fatigue issue.

I think what's really happening here, is this:

A finger needs to be pointed at some of the faulty RD methods and some of its strangest deco theory explanations. But no one wants to be that brave.

The nedu test gets incorrectly interpreted, quoted out of context, over hyped and used as a distraction against everything involving deeper stops.

VPM-B gets blamed for the above and is used as a scape-goat and a proxy for all the problems of others.

Some people see this opportunity, to insist on the use of what Neal Pollock described above. To force the use of longer, slower timed, lower stress profiles, but also to sneak it in under a false premise.

Please let me be clear: Everyone is free to choose their deco level and to make it as fast or slow, fat or skinny as they please. We sell programming tools to satisfy all sides of this argument.

However, those who prefer the slow long shallow version, are not permitted to make up false or self-justifications for it. The current selection of successful planning methods will not be altered, just so the slow ones can fell better about their choice.

Simply put Ross, indeed the cheapest insurance is an extended shallow O2 profile stop, especially on top of bubble model schedules for those still choosing to use them, which the NEDU Study has shown -put unnecessary inert gas supersaturation decompression stress on slow & intermediate tissues upon surfacing.

Simply put Ross, indeed the cheapest insurance is an extended shallow O2 profile stop, especially on top of bubble model schedules for those still choosing to use them, which the NEDU Study has shown -put unnecessary inert gas supersaturation decompression stress on slow & intermediate tissues upon surfacing.

The issue at play here seems to be that if you are using a bubble model and you know that your slow tissues are being subjected to this effect that the best you can do in the absence of proper calibration of the model is guess about how to fix it..... or use a different model.

Intuitively you must be right but padding your shallow stops based upon gut feeling shouldn't be the way we decide if we've done enough deco. The models should be calibrated correctly to begin with, if you ask me.

R..

Some people here are still trying to dodge the truth

Yes, that appears to be the case.

So your opinion is fact because you said so....and their opinions are invalid because they have a solid reputation and are widely held in high regard in their field?

Ross, both sides are presenting what they believe are facts. The public (me) gets to read both sides and decide what they think is more accurate. This isn't reputation vs fact, it's facts-backed-up-by-reputation vs facts-backed-up-by-emotion. I trust to believe the folks that have dedicated their careers to these studies over someone who has dedicated their career to selling programs.

Also important, I hold in VERY high regard the person that can show a change of opinion when presented with new evidence. Dr Mitchell has changed his preferences from deep stop oriented diving to shallow stop oriented diving in response to being presented with new evidence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom