Need a buddy for this weekend, 10/10, 10/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't there a ramp on the North side of San Carlos Beach? I don't recall any steps, if there were any they were covered with sand.

I've assisted some handicapped divers in a pool session, and it was very rewarding. Would love to help some divers in the ocean as well. Far more amazed by the freedom of neutral buoyancy, than the breathing underwater aspect. Having some sand wheels, and a weighted chair sounds like a cool way to enter and exit the water.

I would think that Whaler's Cove is accessible. The entry is a boat ramp off the parking lot.

Pretty much any sand beach would be, too, with the right gear. The SoCal life guards have gurneys with sand wheels. And I've heard of wheel chairs with sand wheels.

And then there's boat diving for those so inclined.

It's all possible with the right motivation. :)

Here is a link to a company that makes beach wheels:
Wheeleez, Inc.
Years ago I made a cart to roll my Hobicat with them; they worked great.
Monterey Bay Kayaks (close to Wharf 2) has a beach wheelchair that is available to the public (provided by State Parks). I don't know if they would allow you to use it for diving, but it's there.
And yes, there is a ramp at Breakwater. Sometimes a large rock gets thrown on it, but eventually they make their way off (I use it to wheel my kayaks to the beach).

Ben

Good to know. I remember when I was recovering I would come to Breakwater just to watch the divers go in and out of the water. I'm sure there are more people out there that would love to go, but simply aren't strong enough to get themselves down there. It would be interesting to see what it takes to help the physically challenged dive, there are all sorts of different disabilities though and you would have to know how to compensate for whatever. I can't afford to be traveling anywhere for a class though :(

I'm reminded of my close friend who was my favorite rock climbing partner, he also was an avid sky diver, and had just completed commercial diving training - when he slid under a truck on his motorcycle in the rain. He's been in a wheelchair since his early 20's - probably 10 years now.

But it's hard to keep that guy down - He went on to earn a degree in engineering & get married - now he basejumps and paraglides, but I bet if he had the chance, he'd love to slip back into the water. Just after he had his accident we talked about scootering.

I think I'll give him a ring ;-). I'd love to help him back into the water If he's interested ;-).

I'm reminded of my close friend who was my favorite rock climbing partner, he also was an avid sky diver, and had just completed commercial diving training - when he slid under a truck on his motorcycle in the rain. He's been in a wheelchair since his early 20's - probably 10 years now.

But it's hard to keep that guy down - He went on to earn a degree in engineering & get married - now he basejumps and paraglides, but I bet if he had the chance, he'd love to slip back into the water. Just after he had his accident we talked about scootering.

I think I'll give him a ring ;-). I'd love to help him back into the water If he's interested ;-).

I would be willing to help in anyway I can!

Me too. It's probably a lot easier to start with someone who's already comfortable in the water.

Thanks Jim & Kristina,

That's very generous! I'll give him call and see what he thinks :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom