Need a hand signal for "Wow"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To become an instructor you already need to be a Scuba Instructor for one of the agencys though. PM me if you want.

That'd be a shame - I have no interest in becoming a scuba instructor, but I gladly share ASL vocabulary and fingerspelling with anyone I'm fortunate enough to dive with that expresses an interest in learning.

Do you know if requiring Scuba Instructor is an agency requirement or their own? This would seem to put a huge damper/bottleneck on the spread/acceptance of their system.

Anyhow, PM sent. I'd love to be at least in touch with them. :)

Maybe not as cool but I learned this one wayyy back in elementary school about 20 years ago. If you hold up 3 fingers on each hand.....index finger, middle, and ring finger.....spread out your fingers in the shape of a W. Then hold them to close to each cheek. Your open mouth (if above water) is the O. Underwater it's your regulator W-O-W

Who said you never learned anythign important in first grade.

oh and if you want to say "WOW MOM!" just flip your 3 fingers upsidedown and make M's :wink:

Just do a fist pump.

I suppose you could touch your index fingertips together and your thumb tips together and extend the remaining three fingers on each hand. That would literally spell "wow." Unless, of course, you're inverted, and your buddy would wonder why you're spelling "mom." :D

Not sure if this came up earlier in the post, but my buddy and I remove our regs and mouth "WOW". Not to be confused with "Whoa" used when you pee and realize you are wearing a dry suit.:D

Jon

Well, since you guys have resurrected the thread . . . I use the "shaka" for happy little stuff, but the big stuff gets two fists yanked up and down. Completely confused Do It Easy when I used it for the octopus I found for him. Things even more amazing get squeaking through the regulator, although my six gill shark reduced me to stunned silence :)
Yeah- it was a big octo too! I thought you wanted me to reach in there and shake him up. I might confuse the sponges and the nudis, but I know enough not to mess with the giant starfishies- the little ones are bad enough :)

Back
Top Bottom