Need a recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mblazer

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've gotten to the point where I'm considering upgrading my uw photo rig. I've been an amateur topside photographer for many years, but have only been shooting uw for about a year -- using a Sea Life DC1000 as a starter kit to get practice and experience. My primary land camera is a D700. I'd rather not take the D700 under since my wife and I do a ton of top side shooting while we're on dive trips. I also have an older D70 as a secondary/backup. So here's where I could use some help.

Do I get a housing for the D70 (such as an Ikelite 6807.1 - if I can find one), or do I bite the bullet and pick up a newer camera body (like a D90)? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many times this boils down to budget and how much will you use the kit underwater. One place to start is possibly used gear. With the D7000 coming out and other new bodies on the horizon many are starting to unload their used gear. That is how I started. Check the classifieds here, wetpixel, digitaldiver, etc....

I typically like to have two bodies of the same camera, just in case:depressed: That way you have the backup, one stays in the housing and the other for shooting dryland.

I know once I started taking the camera down I was hooked and now can't imagine diving without it.

Would you feel comfortable in handling a DSLR underwater setup with as little dives as you have on your profile?

I always recommend to people that havnt done much diving that they get more experience before going into a big and expensive underwater setup as shooting a DSLR underwater is alot harder than on topside.

Regards Mark

Mark -- I don't log most of my dives -- just every now and then when I want a location stamp or to keep a record of a particular thing I've seen. I've had plenty, and feel totally comfortable with moving up to a DSLR.

You may find a used D70 housing and strobes for a good price and the D70 will make nice pictures.
The more expensive way is to get a housing for your D700, giving you better quality photos but a misshap will be much more expensive.
Taking the Ikelite road you will get a excellent priced housing from a historic manufacturer with long, long years of experience and using Ikelite strobes a complete system with TTL.

Chris

Thank you Chris. From your profile it looks like you really know your stuff. Much appreciated.

Mark -- I don't log most of my dives -- just every now and then when I want a location stamp or to keep a record of a particular thing I've seen. I've had plenty, and feel totally comfortable with moving up to a DSLR.

No worries then mblazer. I saw your profile and it said you logged between 25-50 dives........and thought that this is alot of camera for a new diver.

Regards Mark

Also you have to think what will fit into your budget. Actually sit down and work out what the total setup cos will be for each setup.

* Cost of camera body
* Cost of Housing
* Cost of ports
* Cost of strobe/s
* Cost of Strobe arms
* Cost of lenses for underwater use if you dont have already

If your not in a hurry you can look around for a second hand housing setup for your D70 or maybe a D700 housing?

You might love your D700 so much that you might buy a second body and have it as your backup/topside camera.

You might see a D90 setup come up for sale especially since the D7000 has been released.

being at the right time and the right place with money in your hand might be the considering factor in which setup you get.

Good luck with it all.

Regards Mark

Thank you Mark. Tossing around a lot of ideas - way too many options. I just thought I'd start with the D70 since I already have it, but it may just make more sense to keep it as a topside secondary and get a whole new rig for uw. I'm pretty passionate about shooting so it's not as if it won't pay for itself over the years. My wife already tells people that her husband has no cheap hobbies, so this probably won't come as too much of a shock to her. Plus she loves the topside shooting also, and gets a real kick out of what I've gotten so far uw.

Thank you for the advice.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom