need advice on seasick meds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi there, i will be going from freeport, tx to Stetson Bank, about 100 miles out into the gulf i believe - on a pretty fast catamaran for a day of diving. i've been diving only a year and a half and haven't had a problem with seasickness yet, but i haven't been on as long of a boat ride as this will be (probably close to 3hrs i think) , and i don't want to take a chance and have it ruin my day. what over the counter seasick med works the best, and should i take it the night before or what? boat will leave at like 6am. thanks for your help.

dramamine works for me, half a tablet the night before, half that morning, get the non drowsy one..and no alcohol, i had a few beers once the night before diving, took half a tablet, and was hardly able to stay awake the following day..

I use bonine as well. It all depends on which one works better for you. I would follow wayward's son's suggestion and try both before finding out one makes you tired on the boat. I usually just take one an hr or so before I get on the boat and am fine. I'm one of those people that do get seasick, and without bonine you would never find me on a boat.

Matt

With any medication you should really consult your doctor as well. Even if it is an over the counter medicine. Or at least talk to a pharmacist. You can also check out www.scuba-doc.com for a lot of good articles about health and wellness and diving.

donnad:
hi there, i will be going from freeport, tx to Stetson Bank, about 100 miles out into the gulf i believe - on a pretty fast catamaran for a day of diving. i've been diving only a year and a half and haven't had a problem with seasickness yet, but i haven't been on as long of a boat ride as this will be (probably close to 3hrs i think) , and i don't want to take a chance and have it ruin my day. what over the counter seasick med works the best, and should i take it the night before or what? boat will leave at like 6am. thanks for your help.

Seasickness effects everyone differently, so it's one of the those things that you're going to have to figure out on your own. For me, a good nights rest and keeping well hydrated are critical. I also take dramamine (1 pill the night before and 1 pill at the dock), and eat bland foods like dry toast and ginger snaps. If you decide to experiment with meds, make sure you give yourself a dry run so you know how your body reacts before you get out on the boat.

Good luck,

Mike

donnad:

triptone has had the fewest side effects for me

Personally, I use the less-drowsy Dramamine (same thing as Bonine). It works out, but is best if I take 1 the night before I'll need it, then another in the morning, 1 hour before boarding.
Other tips I've found are: get plenty of rest beforehand (I've only ever gotten sick when too tired), eat something (I swear by a bagel with peanut butter), & stay outdoors (tight spaces - like a boat's head, are miserable for me).
The last trick that i have are Queasy Pops - they are lolipops that are created for dealing with nausea. They're non-medicated, so no side effects, and taste good. If i'm not already throwing up, but just am starting to feel sick, they really seem to do the trick.
Good luck and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom