Need advice on what bag to get to backpack around with dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simiir

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
HI guys and girls

So for several days I've been trying to figure out how to backpack easier around with my dive gear, as I'm a instructor and backpacker at the same time :wink:

so far when I went to Australia from being in Thailand for 1,5 year I bought myself the mares cruise roller bag, it's pretty massive and loads of volume, 128 liters... But it's way to much and bulky for me and I need some smarter solution now onwards..

before i I got to Thailand I had basically no dive gear so I had only my 35 liter backpack that worked as a carry on for me on airplanes, so perfect as hell! I still have that one left with me but haven't used it since I got the mares bag..

ive looked maybe into getting a new backpack like a 65-80 liter with a 15-20 liter small bag u can take off and use it as a carry on. And then Ye fit the dive gear and my cloths into the big pack..

Or or I use my 35 liter as usually and buy me some simple bag for my dive gear only?

this is between my gear I have to fit in, I think my fins are the most trouble, no clue:
BC: Mares Dragon, size M
Fins: Mares Volo race 44/45
wetsuit: Probe iflex, size L
Reg: Aqualung Legend
then the usual small stuff, knife, reel etc that can easy be fitted somewhere in be etc

but Ye, what do you think, any solutions? I bet I'm not the only one and there is loads of backpackers/divers having some solutions how to do it. Just write and give me ur ideas!

Thanks

Last edited:
I spent about 5 weeks diving around Indonesia a few years back, I used an 80 liter Macpac backpack and a smaller day pack worn in my front. I travel with al BP/W, small wing and short "travel" fins, small hand held lights etc, regs, mask and computer in day pack. No doubt, a wheeled suitcase packs easier but it's a pain when lots of "track/bush" walking is involved.

I have a Dive Caddy Gen II for sale if you're interested.

Also I've been looking into duffel bags with backpack straps on, how comfortable is that? And then maybe have my small SSI bag as a carry on

Ok I thought so. I'm probably then gonna try buy a real travel backpack as I mentioned. Do we have any suggestions? I rather not spend crazy money on it. Just something that can fit my gear and my cloths, I like to travel as light and small as possible, so u can imagine I don't have to many cloths :)

I like the north face Basecamp series bags. Size from xs to xl. I think u can get some decent priced ones online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom