Need advice please / new and I searched!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mitsuguy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
well, I searched this board and read a ton of stuff about regulators, and I might be more confused than when I started...

I don't want to spend a ton, but I want something safe (obviously)

I'm very new to this, finishing up getting my OW cert this weekend, and I can't wait to dive more and more (even in cold Lake Mead)...

At any rate, I already have the TUSA Zoom fins, TUSA M-23 mask and a snorkel... I'm buying boots tomorrow, so I'll have the basic personal stuff... I am also looking at the Aeris XR-2/Atmos 2 wrist dive computer, and will probably be buying one soon...

What I want advice on, is, an inexpensive, upgradable (if need) regulator setup... My LDS has the Tusa RS460 on special for $260, and I could add a single pressure gauge for about $60 (I'd really like to do without a bulky console, so I'm doing wrist mounted computer / compass, but I don't want to spend the additional $300-$400 for a wireless pressure gauge/computer)... With the Tusa RS460, the single pressure gauge, all I would need would be the octo to complete the setup, and be out the door for around $400; HOWEVER, I saw scubatoys.com has a very cheap deal on a complete setup from Mares, including the R2 Rebel, the Mares Brigade Viper Octo, and a 2 gauge Aeris Console, and the whole setup is $270 (maybe cheaper if I do the single pressure gauge versus the whole console)

So far, all of my dives have been on a TUSA RS130, and I've had no problems, or complaints.

Any opinions, or other ideas on a complete reg setup for $300-$400?

Wow, sounds like you really did your homework! I don't know much about either of the regs you listed but it sounds like a really good deal either way, and that your on the right track. I bought a Delta 4 for my wife and it was over 500 for it and an octo. If you plan on going really cold or deep you may want to consider something else but, what your looking at is all safe and good. Have fun!

Regs and stuff-

A good thing about Scuba equipment and especially life support equipment is that it is very reliable and will work, as long as it’s a brand you have heard of. Any advice beyond that is purely personal opinion and will vary between person and geographic location.

There is a difference in performance and quality is regs and some are designed for specific proposes, like diving in very cold conditions or contaminated environments.

Personally when a person is looking at buying a reg, the first thing they need to do is figure out what they want there dive profiles to be in a few years. Are they looking to do deep dives in cold water or spend most of there dives in warmer conditions. And secondly, every diver I know that has been around for a while has a collection of regs they bought when they started and found a use for them, be it a back up system or on a pony bottle or a argon bottle or even a bottle they keep in the shop.

So in conclusion I say buy the best reg you can afford, as long as you can spend time in the water. Becoming a good diver has a lot more to do with just diving than buying cool gear.

By the way all of my regs are Scuba pro and I hate Mares regs

JUMBO

Well for a good suggestion, we would need a bit more info about you....

Where will you be doing most of your diving?.....When you say Cold, how cold?...We talking Ice? Are you price driven or quality?

GIve us a bit more background and we can probably make some better suggestions for you :)

Dive Right In Scuba:
Well for a good suggestion, we would need a bit more info about you....

Where will you be doing most of your diving?.....When you say Cold, how cold?...We talking Ice? Are you price driven or quality?

GIve us a bit more background and we can probably make some better suggestions for you :)

well, I originally got into this because my fiance has been diving for 5 years, and we are going on a cruise in April (cozumel, grand cayman, jamaica), and we're planning on diving all three... I'm in Las Vegas, and the closest place to dive is Lake Mead (a 30-45 minute drive from home)... It is cold this time of year, 52 degrees this past sunday, but very tolerable with a 7/5 wetsuit/ hood / gloves... I plan on diving there somewhat frequently to get practice and just because it's fun and I love it... that would be a portion of my diving, but those would be the worst conditions... everything else will be warmer, tropical locations even...

mitsuguy:
I saw scubatoys.com has a very cheap deal on a complete setup from Mares, including the R2 Rebel, the Mares Brigade Viper Octo, and a 2 gauge Aeris Console, and the whole setup is $270 (maybe cheaper if I do the single pressure gauge versus the whole console)

I saw that deal at scubatoys too. If anyone had any thoughts or experience on that equipment (Mares Rebel, the Mares Brigade Viper Octo, and a 2 gauge Aeris Console) that would be awesome! :eyebrow:

but for that kind of money, I'd be better off buying the Tusa RS460 from my local shop and not having to worry about learning to do it myself (although I probably would anyways), but at least that way, the parts are free...

Spend the money for a really good reg or you will be buying another soon. As you go deeper, dive nitrox etc you will be puuting demands on the reg that it may not perform to your expectations - not that it won't perform. But the difference between a $ 300.00 reg and a $ 400.00 reg Apples to apples is dramatic.
Above all make sure you buy a brand that is sold & serviced locally.
Ther are no "bad regulators" only ones better/ higher performance / more features.
Dive safe have fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom