Need advice re charging new LM light with Li-Po batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
What I've gleaned from SB is that I shouldn't fully discharge them ever, or fully charge them unless I'm going to use them soon (thanks TS&M). Is this about right? The only information included with the light was a poorly translated description of the plugging -it-in-sequence which is roughly opposite of the DR NiMH sequence. As I understand it now, the charging instructions are also roughly opposite of the DR. Please, help me not blow up my new light . Thanks.

I know, it's not literally going to "blow up."

Last edited:
This must be secret information. Is there a class I have to take to get it?

OK, it looks like you're supposed to keep them charged to 40% of capacity when not in use and charge them to 80 % for use. I'm thinking the charger automatically stops charging @ 80% as its efficiency is rated @ 80%. Multimeter here I come.

I can't help you with the charging question, but I am curious about which light you purchased. I am in the market and am considering the LM 21W LED

I think I have the answer to the charging question figured out. I bought a new 21 watt/ 10 amp HID @ a price I couldn't refuse. It's really nicely fabricated. Another one I was/am considering is the HOG 21 watt MiMH which can be had for $825.00, which seems like a bargain. I like them both for opposite reasons, if fact, If I hadn't found out that that the LM batteries were owner accessable I might not have bought it. In the end I went with the luxury model. It's really nice.... ..and I am old and decadent.

Who sells the Hog 21w for $825?

Best thing is to buy quality charger that really controls bateries step -by- step and frst made some controled cycles to activate battery pack on full .

LM as I know have only under lid ''sealed'' canister with two conectors + and - and and two blind for transportation- and this is NOT OK !

For charging Lipos you need first battery pack proper configured. Protected LiPO arecharged and balanced at the same time . You need for example for 4S (4 serial cells ) 5 wires out !
That can be monitored each cells. Chargers have for that reasons proper number pin-outs ! And of course temperature monitoring!

For example very good are these : complete serie iCharger from
HobbyKing Online R/C Hobby Store : iCharger 208B 350W 8s Balance/Charger

and panel in front of charger is for charging LiPos ( same conector should be on your battery pack - under sealed cover - if not ( buy a better light :wink: - joke but...sad but there is some truth)

I-CHG-208B.jpg

and proper wired LiPOs ( red connector should go on + / - pins inside sealed canister , white connector should go on charger )

5000-4-20.jpg

and finallly :
I know, it's not literally going to "blow up."

your battery pack could literally go blow up avoiding correct charging procedures

your choice what you will do , I can give you only advice ;-))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom