Need an extra undergarment layer under my drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just picked up some ecws gear. I got a rash guard and some poly-pro for $20 each. Both are pants, I'll be getting a shirt shortly. Well made and I'm quite happy.

Check your local army surplus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What kind of dives do you do and what duration? I know when I was diving up there (Cove 2) in the spring I saw divers in Halo 3d & SANTI BZ400's If you are switching to a Trilam, this is maybe the route you want to go, buy right the first time around, its better to be warm then cold.

My buddy had a lot of trouble with the 400g thinsulate trapping air. We both dive 4th element now. We dive 38* water at least once a week, and stay warm.

Sent during my 10' deco stop

Went back and looked at the original post. You are going from 4 mm of compressed neoprene to a trilam suit -- I would seriously doubt you will be able to make do with the undergarment you are using, even with a heavier base layer.

Most people diving laminate suits around here are diving something like the Santi 400g, or the Weezle, or the Whites MK3. I just switched to the Whites Thermal Fusion (about four or five months ago) and I'm really happy with how it's working out for me.

I didn't find the 4th element Arctic to be warm enough; I haven't tried their heavier stuff, but heard it's even floatier than the 400g/Weezle/MK3 group.

while i do not see water temps that low, i do hate being cold. what has been working for me so far is an under armor base layer with a whited mk2 undergarmet. has been great so far!

That's useful feedback everybody. I'm thinking getting a warmer base layer such as the fourth element xerotherm or kam gear is my best option for now. I should be able to use those with a heavier outer garment when I move to a shell suit.

I'm still evaluating options wrt a new drysuit. So this should keep me a bit warmer for the time being or at least not result in needing to rebuy an expensive layer in a couple months.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

I just picked up some ecws gear. I got a rash guard and some poly-pro for $20 each. Both are pants, I'll be getting a shirt shortly. Well made and I'm quite happy.

Check your local army surplus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I second the surplus Army gear. Although issued mine, I typically wear one of the ECWS Gen III silk base layer under a Ursuk Light undergarment (X-Tex Light Finnfill 0,83 Clo | Ursuk). This is usually good to about 12C (54F) or so. If it gets any colder I through a set of the Gen III quilted layer on in between the silk base and the undergarment. I've dove this setup down to 2C and have been comfortable for up to an hour or so.

The fourth element zerotherm is a thermal dry base and will make a huge difference. I use the zerotherm layered under the Fourth element arctic for water down to 40F deg. It takes very little loft/air to work and vents nicely. I also use the fourth element hot foot socks as well. I used them last Saturday for a 76min dive at 50F deg and was toasty warm.

I use the F/E brybase as well for warmer dives. They work much better than UA. They keep the moisture away from your skin much better.

What kind of dives do you do and what duration? I know when I was diving up there (Cove 2) in the spring I saw divers in Halo 3d & SANTI BZ400's If you are switching to a Trilam, this is maybe the route you want to go, buy right the first time around, its better to be warm then cold.

Usually about an hour, recreational profiles and primarily focused on taking photos (i.e., not moving a whole bunch). I have probably an average amount of cold tolerance, although my hands get cold easily in or out of the water. For the shell suit, I expect to end up in something like the Halo or BZ400. Hopefully, I can find a base layer to use with my CT200 and my current suit that I could wear under one of those warmer undergarments in the future for colder dives in another suit.

You haven't mentioned it, but make sure you have a good hood. Not one of those el cheapo deals that are paper thin and compress to the planck length at depth, biut a proper 7mm+ one made of some quality neoprene. A nice hood can make your life much better.

Back
Top Bottom