Need course and gear advice for trip to Hawaii April 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zenbudda

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi gang. I just joined the site since I will be going to Hawaii in April of 2013 and I want to take advantage of any good opportunities that Hawaii might have to offer (ie. the manta ray night dive off the big island). So my first question is will these types of dives be too advanced for a beginner? I'd hate to get certified then go and find out that I'm not experienced enough to do the dive.

I've been looking around at different dive shops in my area (Houston, TX / Katy, TX) to gather information on classes, equipment, and cost. Which leads me to my second question:

What should I buy as a beginner diver?

Depending on how much I enjoy diving will dictate how often I will dive. My intention would be to buy equipment that could last me a while until I decide on my commitment to diving as a true hobby. I've been told that I should probably buy the basics:

mask, snorkel, fins, boots, gloves, wet suit, belt, and weights.

I was told that everything else will most definitely be provided by the dive company I am diving with.

So another question I have is about purchasing of equipment. I have a wetsuit in mind but I was thinking I could buy that online. However, I cannot seem to find an appropriate place to buy the wetsuit online. Plus, I don't know if it's a decent wetsuit. Here is the closest I can find to the wetsuit I tried on:

HydroFlex 3mm Jumpsuit

(fyi, this link defaults to the women's wetsuit. I'm male and you can click on the male versions to see those as well).

I've been told that i'm looking for either a 3mm or a 3/2mm.

Do dive shops typically sell higher end masks? Or should I consider some other resource to buy a mask? I think the one I tried on was a Deep See (it had good peripheral vision). However, it seemed I could pull the mask off fairly easy after I sucked it into my face. I tried on another mask at another shop, and it fit VERY snug. Should I go for the snug fit? Or will the mask strap and force of the water keep the Deep See mask on my face?

OH, and I almost forgot. I'm wanting to snorkel and surf while I'm in Hawaii.

Will I need a wet suit while I'm snorkeling? Surfing? Is a 3/2 suit too hot for either?

I have more questions, but those are the top ones for now.

Personally, I wouldnt buy anything until I knew I was going to stick with diving for a while. Even they I wouldnt buy anything much until I had enough hands on experience to know what it is I preferred to use. When I did my OW cert the instructor provided everything and areas with lots of tourists diving have dive ops that rent you everything you need as well. It is a TON nicer to dive with your own gear, but gear isnt cheap and if you end up not diving you wont get a very big percentage of your money back selling the used gear.

---------- Post Merged at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Personally, I wouldnt buy anything until I knew I was going to stick with diving for a while. Even they I wouldnt buy anything much until I had enough hands on experience to know what it is I preferred to use. When I did my OW cert the instructor provided everything and areas with lots of tourists diving have dive ops that rent you everything you need as well. It is a TON nicer to dive with your own gear, but gear isnt cheap and if you end up not diving you wont get a very big percentage of your money back selling the used gear.

I dove Kauai in Nov and Dec in board shorts and a rash guard.

I live in Hawaii and can tell you that our water in April is usually about 74 degrees. You may be comfortable with a 3 mm suit, but we wear 5 mm. As far as the Manta Ray Night Dive goes, you do NOT need to be a very experienced diver to do it because the best site for this dive is only 30 feet deep. You will sit on the bottom in a big circle around a box of bright lights - almost like a campfire circle. Dive guides usually like to give divers extra weight to help them sit still. It is a MUST DO for any diver who loves big critters. About buying gear - a good mask, snorkel, and fins can be purchased at most dive shops. They are a good investment, because you will have them for snorkeling even if you decide not to become a frequent diver. Dive magazines have gear ratings pretty often, including a "best value" which lets you know which items are good even if they aren't the most expensive.

I wouldn't buy a wetsuit online unless it was from a retailer with an excellent return policy. Near you that would be ScubaToys in Dallas. Scuba Equipment, Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear Snorkeling Equipment and Wetsuits Cheap online. It really needs to fit well to be effective.

Dive shops have the higher priced dive masks. For several reasons. First of all, they're dive gear, not snorkel gear or pool toys like you buy at WalMart. Tempered glass, soft skirts, better materials, adjustable buckles etc. all contribute to the price. For the difference of a few dollars that you'll save online, you may as well buy one locally that fits since that's really the most important thing. It's really a pita to deal with a mask that leaks when you're trying to focus on something else during the dive.

My current mask was $40 new thru a local store. You should be able to inhale and maintain a seal on a proper fitting mask without using the strap. Different masks fit different faces, some of the better masks use softer silicone materials to help them seal better. I might buy boots/fins locally also to be sure they fit well. Although my most recent fins I bought online and they work great - if you get the size right and have pretty standard feet, they likely will.

You don't need to buy a wetsuit if you're ok with rentals - most dive operators provide them also. And you may never need a weightbelt/weights - that's the last thing I'd buy. You're not going to haul it to Hawaii either given the weight restrictions/charges for luggage. Most of the dive operators (all in HI that I know of) provide tanks/weights/belts as part of their trip price. And if you stay with diving and buy a weight-integrated BCD you'll never need a weightbelt. In 30 yrs. of diving I never have. The only reason you may want to own your own weights and/or belt is for local diving. Or if you buy a non-integrated BCD. For your class, weights/belt should be included.

For Hawaii, one thing you might want to consider is buying a dive skin. It's a lightweight lycra skin that will provide some protection from sharp coral etc. as well as partial sun-screening - that's a big issue in HI when it's a bright sunny day out on the water - we get cooked every time even with one. Works good for snorkeling also. Something like this: Henderson Lycra Hot Skin discounts on sale Henderson It can also be used between you and a rental wetsuit unless you buy one first.

I consider my regulators as life support equipment. That would be the next item I would buy after fins, mask, boots and snorkel. You will want at least a rash guard too. It will work under a wetsuit and by itself depending on the water temperature.

I dive in Mexico and have seen rental regulators fail. My own have never failed. A wetsuit that fits is a good investment. You will probably need two depending on the water temps you intend to dive in.

Check the used equipment ads here and you may be able to save lots of money. I have purchased gear from this forum and have had real good luck so far.

Welcome to the addiction. There is always enough money for whats important!!

All of my dives here have been in a 3.5 full suit, never got cold. I've also seen folks doing the "board shorts and rash guard" option who were just fine (usually on shallower dives).

The shop where I got trained required students to have their own mask, fins, snorkel, and boots (if you weren't using full-foot fins) for the class; they provided the wetsuit, regulator, and BCD. . Like Jamie said, the mask/fins/snorkel are useful for snorkeling as well, so not a bad investment even if you decide not to continue diving. Pretty much any shop you dive with will have an option to rent whatever gear you need, so I would hold off on buying the big-ticket items until you decide if you like it.

The manta ray dive is usually crowded, but still fantastic. Highly recommended!

No wetsuit required for either snorkeling or surfing, but a rash guard might be helpful...

Tim

I consider my regulators as life support equipment. That would be the next item I would buy after fins, mask, boots and snorkel. You will want at least a rash guard too. It will work under a wetsuit and by itself depending on the water temperature.

I dive in Mexico and have seen rental regulators fail. My own have never failed. A wetsuit that fits is a good investment. You will probably need two depending on the water temps you intend to dive in.

Check the used equipment ads here and you may be able to save lots of money. I have purchased gear from this forum and have had real good luck so far.

Welcome to the addiction. There is always enough money for whats important!!

I agree with Grover48 about regs. It's your life line! First thing I purchase was my regs just before I head to HAwaii. I've seen several rentals where the octo mouth Piece was ripped. I sure don't want to be on the other ending needing the octo.

Wetsuits are difficult to buy online. You really need to try it on for fit. I believe leisure pro has a good return policy and if doesn't fit they will send you another size.

Be patient and wait for the Christmas sale and you can save around 15%.

Best of luck and have fun diving.

You mention you're going to Hawaii.....do you specifically mean you're going to the Big Island? Its easier to know what to recommend if we know what island you're going to. I have found the rental gear in Hawaii to be excellent across the board. Nothing like renting gear in Mexico!

Agreed that you should just buy the basics of mask, fins, snorkel, and booties. You shouldn't need your own weights, and most shops will provide a belt with weights when you rent.

If you can, try as many different types of masks as you can to find the right one, and if you can try different types/brands of fins in the water, that would be best too. Not all fins are comfortable for all divers because kicking ability varies so greatly.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I have more questions (of course):

1. 74 degree water does not seem very cold to me. Why would i need a dive suit for that? Is that because 74 degrees is the surface temp and not the temp as you go deeper?

2. Saw some mentioning of a lycra hot skin. do you use this instead of the wet suit or do you use it under the wet suit?

3. I want to confirm something that i just read. if a mask won't stay sealed on your face when you try to pull it off, that means it's not a good fit, correct? the guys at the dive shop said it was ok if you had to use some force to pull it off because the strap and underwater pressure will keep it sealed. as I mentioned the 1 mask i liked in terms of visibility was able to come off fairly easy when i pulled on it. the other one that i didn't like as much stay on my face even though i tried to pull it off.

4. i actually have enough saved up to get a mask, snorkel, boots and fins. i also have enough to get a wet suit. how do i know if fins fit? what about the boots? how snug should the wet suit fit? i'm 6' and weigh 165lbs (tall and slim). the medium aqualung fit really well (to me) but there was some minor gapping in certain areas. is this ok? otherwise, it fit really snug. almost to the point of being uncomfortably snug (i'm not used to wearing tight clothing). but i could bend and raise my arms and such.

---------- Post Merged at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:26 PM ----------

I will be staying in Oahu for 1 week. Then big island, then Kuai. I am definitely wanting to do the manta ray night dive. But any other suggestions would be greatly helpful

1. 74 degree water does not seem very cold to me. Why would i need a dive suit for that? Is that because 74 degrees is the surface temp and not the temp as you go deeper?
Me either. I dive there in microfiber board shorts and a t-shirt all year. My buddy does the same dives in a 3 or 5mm wetsuit. Just depends on how well you tolerate cooler water. On repetitive dives some people get cold since that lowers your body core temperature.
2. Saw some mentioning of a lycra hot skin. do you use this instead of the wet suit or do you use it under the wet suit?
Either or both. The lycra is more protection against sharp coral, jellyfish, etc. than insulating. It also makes a wetsuit easier to slide on - especially during your second dive when your suit is still damp.

I will be staying in Oahu for 1 week. Then big island, then Kuai. I am definitely wanting to do the manta ray night dive. But any other suggestions would be greatly helpful
On Kauai, the signature dive is Sheraton Caverns near Poipu. It's a relatively shallow dive thru a series of open and partially closed lava tubes. Even the closed parts are within newer divers capability as they're short and open on both ends. You'll see a lot of big turtles there also typically.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom