Need day trip advice for Khao Lak/Phuket group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lpshanet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be staying in southern Phang Nga province, just over the Sarasin Bridge from Phuket. It's about 30 minutes north of the Phuket airport. It looks on a map like we are midway between the heart of Phuket (where most dive centers are) and Khao Lak, but not sure if they are equal drive times away. So we are not certain which is more appropriate as a departure point.

I'm planning on arranging a day trip for about 10-20 people on Feb 4, 2012, and have heard very good things about diving off Khao Lak and the Similan Islands, but am open to any place that makes sense for a day trip from where we are.

The levels of the divers will vary from fairly green beginners up to fairly experienced solid intermediates/advanced divers, and I'm hoping we'll be able to find a site that everyone can enjoy (and maybe even one good for non-diving snorkelers).

Any recommendations of specific dive operators who might be appropriate for a group day trip like I'm describing would be greatly appreciated. Also, any thoughts on going south to Phuket vs. north to Khao Lak is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Laurence

Laurence, You are most likely a little closer to the Khao Lak jump off point for daytrips than you are to the Phuket jump off point which is at the far southeastern edge of the island, rather than in the middle of the island. The airport is about a 45 minute drive from Chalong Pier (where most Phuket daytrips originate) an if you add to that the 30 minute drive from your hotel to the airport, you get about 1:15. I estimate that you are 45 minutes or so from the jump off point for boats south of Khao Lak.

Because there are many more speedboat-type daytrips out of Khao Lak than there are out of Phuket, and because for a group that size, you could charter your own speedboat and go where you want, my advice is to look first at Khao Lak, and if you don't find what you want at the price you want, look at Phuket as a Plan B. I won't recommend specific ops in the forum, but I would be happy to provide insights privately.

Hi Laurence,

Quero is right, Khao Lak would be nearer than Phuket. There are operators who can cater to your needs in Khao Lak with their own, comfortable boats. Feel free to contact me for further advice.

Hi lpshanet,

From someone not affiliated with any dive centers in the area, I highly recommend Khao Lak Scuba Adventures. They own a small fleet of both live-a-boards and speedboats and have a very professional (and also fun) dive operation, based on my experience.

Happy Diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom