Need dive shop rec. in Mayan Riviera, near Akumal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, I'll be in Mayan Riviera from December 26 January 1 of this upcoming year. I'm staying at the Sunscape Tulum which is between Akumal and Tulum. Does anyone know how far this is? I'd like to do some Cenote diving and I need a shop that people here have dove with. All help is SOOO greatly appreciated.

Aquatech has an electric compressor which is of wise choice right now. Try them at www.cenotes.com. They are between Akumal and Tulum.

Why? What's up with an electric compressor?

Try getting in touch with Dave at Abyss Dive Shop. It's located next to the Blue Parrott in Playa, but I think they have opened a satellite location in Tulum. You can reach them at abyssdiveshop.com

KidK9:
Why? What's up with an electric compressor?

gas compressors = possible CO (carbon monoxide) contamination

electric compressors = no gas, therefore no CO

Read between the lines and you'll figure it out. Mexico does NOT have air quality standards for compressed air like we do in the US.

I did the Hidden Worlds tour... almost on the way to Tulum. Incredible caves! Incredible cenotes... saw Dos Ojos. There is a dive shop within arm's distance of every hotel now it seems. This was 4 years ago even.

KidK9:
Hey all, I'll be in Mayan Riviera from December 26 January 1 of this upcoming year. I'm staying at the Sunscape Tulum which is between Akumal and Tulum. Does anyone know how far this is? I'd like to do some Cenote diving and I need a shop that people here have dove with. All help is SOOO greatly appreciated.

Try The Akumal Dive Center. I have used them a couple times. Small boats, but they are flexible and very nice. They will work around your schedule if need be. They are on the Akumal Bay-very easy to find. Beautiful beach, very quiet and peaceful and a great place to hang out after you dive.

We went down to Akumal last thanksgiving and we stayed at Villa DeRosa which houses the Aquatech dive center. We did 4 dives with them. They are located 2 miles south of Akumal. THe beach in front of the shop is beautiful (better than Half-moon bay in Akumal, IMO). They have nice reefs right in front of the resort. They take small groups (we were only 4 people on both days) and are very professional.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom