Need help choosing dive system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd recommend waiting on the BC until you have experience diving with both the jacket style and the BP/W. They're very different. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of air integrated computers, but lots of people like them. It's a big increase in price, though, for something that really does nothing to improve your dive. Even with the AI, you still probably should carry a SPG. If something happens to the computer transmitter on a dive, you can get depth from your buddy in a pinch, but you'll have no idea what your air supply is. Maybe I'm being a little paranoid.... Why don't you buy the wetsuit from the 1st place since it fits so well, the computer from the second place since probably going non-AI is a better idea, at least financially, whichever reg you want, and try to dive each BC in a pool? You're buying enough stuff from each place so they should let you do that. Then you won't be stuck with something you don't like, at least for a awhile!

I vote store 2....

Go Apeks DS4/50 regs. I have a huge amount of gear. These regs WON'T let you down.

I have ScubaPro also. Never had a problem with them. BUT, seen a lot of problems with the 20 and 16 series.

I do BP/W. And love it.

But, I like Tech diving. You may not...

Your instructor who said you would have problems staying vert with a backplate at the surface. Doesn't have any experience with them. So, why is he commenting on them? Oh, So he can sell you his. Once you get your BP/Wing lined out. It's not a problem.

I dove with instructors doing the same thing to me. They were also diving 100lb wings for tech. Needless to say, they hadn't dove much tech. Got the Cert and that was it... Good thing I looked around...

Take some time & think about the type of diving you would like to do. If it's eventually Technical, don't buy recreation gear now that you'll have to get rid of later. Also, make sure you can get local service for the gear that you decide on.

My .002

Good Luck & Safe Diving

I have to agree....figure out what kind of diving you're going to be doing, then decide. I also agree that you don't have to buy everything from one place and can mix and match gear. To me you have the best of both worlds....an LDS that has BP/wing and one that has jacket BCs. You should be able to make arrangements to rent both set-ups and try them while actually diving. Dive a few times in each style and then decide for yourself.

I made the huge mistake of listening to the argument that a back inflate puts you on your face at the surface, so I bought a jacket BC. In one year, I've replaced it with a back inflate BC (not BP/wings but danged close) and have never had a problem with staying vertical at the surface. Heck, I've yet to even have to fully inflate any style of BC, which would be the only time I could see risking the face down position with a back inflate.

Take your time, figure out what kind of diving you're going to do, and buy your equipment according to that goal. Buying it all at once in a package may save you in the short run through discounts, but in the long run may cost you more in changing things you aren't super happy with.

r37691:
don't buy recreation gear now that you'll have to get rid of later.
Why would you have to do that?
Rick :)

My wife dieves a Legend Supreme and it is a great reg. I love it and she loves it. Good choice. I am assuming that by online you are talking LeisurePro. Well check out DiveInn as well and ask LPro to match DiveInn. They won't match perfectly, but with DiveInn you will pay import tax. I think we paid 320 for her Legend, but DiveInn was 310 (plus import duty).

Consider the Suunto Cobra with compass mount console. LPro will sell this for about 500 and without the compass for 450.

Finally, keep your LDS happy if it matters to you. I didn't buy equipment from mine, but we spent a butt load on classes and small items. Apparently that wasn't good enough for them, so they are no longer my LDS. All things change and most dive shop owners/managers appear to be very fickle.

Lastly...if you do call John at Northeastscuba *make sure he has what you want in stock* (he sells Halcyon). He pissed me around for 2 weeks because he didn't have items in stock and look into the famous name deals carefully (they are DiveRite) as the cheaper ones don't include tank straps etc., But he still sells a nice deal, I saved about 150 over my LDS.

mattboy:
If you're a new diver, I would suggest you buy only as you really need, and acquire the experience to get exactly what you want. As far as the reg goes, almost anything will work really well; there's ALOT of hype in regulator purchase for recreational diving. If your LDS sells aqualung and that appeals to you, try the titan; it's a lot less expensive and it will work as well. If you're not sure, just figure out some way to try several different regs on OW dives of moderate depth and you'll see exactly what I mean. All the regs you listed would serve you will, I'm sure. Sometimes it comes down to service availability and familiarity. The good news is that as long as you buy a reputable reg from a reputable dealer, you're almost certainly not going to get something you won't like, or at least be willing to use.

The wetsuit choice will have a much more noticable and immediate impact on your diving experience, and in this case, fit is everything. If your LDS can fit you correctly, you should probably buy it there, and I think a good, perfectly fitted wetsuit suitable for your local conditions is probably the best first purchase for new divers.

The BC is a very personal choice that requires diving experience to make. So, at the risk of inciting a riot, I'd suggest that you rent for a while, or if you must buy, really consider resale value; because probably you'll change your mind at some point. Everyone raves about the Zeagle brigade, and you'll have no trouble selling it for a good price if/when you decide to go a different route. Another option is to buy something used; there's a huge selection of BCs on ebay. That right there should tell you something about BCs; most divers will change their BC opinion throughout their development as a diver. But, fit is an issue, and you're always taking a chance with used stuff.

Computer purchase for a new diver is a little confusing to say the least. You might want to look over this:
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/dive_computers/crunching_the_numbers/

Pay attention to the charts....sometimes there's a huge difference in the way different computers react to the same scenario. Unfortunately, as a new diver, it's very difficult for you to know which of these computers is the best fit for your diving style. Good luck! Don't forget the value of user-friendliness and ease of reading; in this aspect, the aeris atmos are really good. The conservative nature of Suunto computers has the respect of many of the more experienced divers on this board, but many of them are in more demanding diving situations where safety margins are smaller.

Mattboy makes some great points.

I would add that no matter what you buy for your first set of gear, you WILL want something different after further experience. Personally I wanted the Suunto AI hoseless wrist computer. It was waaaaaaay out of my price range at that moment. So I purchased an inexpensive Aeris Atmos model to get started knowing that I would upgrade in the future (didn't want to spend $600.00 on a nice console computer that I would be upgrading in a year or two). I also purchased a BC that would work well for traveling and local, small back inflation, weight integrated (Mares Jubilee will be my light weight travel BC if I ever decide on something else). I really wanted the Zeagle Ranger but after a few dozen dives, I now am more interested in a BP/W. If I would have purchased that Ranger.... well, you get it.

My point is get out and dive and realize that you WILL at some point want something different no matter if you buy the $2500.00 package or the $1300.00 package. It is too soon to know what you will like for the long term. Good Luck!!!!

BTW,

Check out www.scubaL.com for the wet suit. You can get a custom suit (send in measurments) for around $125.00.

N.E.Diver:
Okay-

Store 1 does not carry nor recommend BP/W style BC's b/c he says I wouldnt want one b/c I would have trouble staying verticle on the surface.

This is a myth perpetuated by people who don't know anything about BPW's. If your BP weighs 6# or more then you'll have no problem staying vertical or floating on your back on the surface.

I'd go with store #2.

Choices #1 and #2.

the apexs and USD regs are awsome peices of kit and a solid investment. the same goes for the Halcyon wing and BP.

Back
Top Bottom