Need Help - Dive Light for Night Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freshorangina

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I need to get a dive light for night diving. I would think half the time I will be doing boat dives, and the other half will be shore dives. I have a video light on my camera setup, but I need another light. I looking for something in the $100 to $150 range. If you can include any shop links that would be fantastic! Thanks so much for input from any and all. :) Also, I have seen some that have a hand holster and would love to hear from anyone who has used this type of setup. Thanks!

Carey

I think for night diving, you need something with a moderate beam width so you can scan a big swath of area at once. So not one of those small lights that as beam width of 5 deg, nor the Intova wide beam, which is so wide that it ends up with a low lux level. So the traditional dive lights with a med width is likely the best. Princeton tec's Miniwave II with can be had for around $70+ and takes 4 cheap C battery. The newer one has 400 lumens output.

When I used the narrow beam for night dives and tried to aim the light so I could at least point camera at my subject with my, the beam is so narrow that I frequently cannot find where my beam due to my attention being on the cameras viewfinder.

The hand holster could hold most of the mini-flashlight. But most of those have super narrow beams. One of those light with an adjustable beam is the Big Blue CF-250 250 lumen with adjustable beam. It can be had for around $150 with the hand holster.

It sounds like your camera-mounted video light will be your "primary" light for the night dives. That will give you very broad illumination which is great for night diving as you want to see as much area as possible. If so you are really looking for a back-up light.

If you have a broad video light already, I would suggest a back-up with a narrower beam. That makes it useful for signalling your buddy. In your price range, I think the best bet is the Big Blue 250 lumen focusable light. This gives the best of all worlds. Decent brightness, and a focusable beam from 6 degrees (very tight for signalling) to 30 degrees (great for general night diving). Price is about $150 with the hand-wrist mount. Light is very small and uses standard AAA batteries.

The novae SST-50 is a VERY bright light for the money ($130-150 or so). I have 2. They are standard flashlight size and so too big for a hand holster. When they work, they are absolutely superior and give more light than units costing $800.00. Way, way brighter than the Big Blue. They have a narrow bright central spot and a very bright and wide periferal area. I would consider them the best night dive light I have used, HOWEVER there seem to be reliability issues with the units. The re-seller, Novae, is absolutely great for service and standing behind the product. However, the lights themselves seem to be uneven in their quality and reliability, as do the proprietary rechargeable batteries. If you get one, you also MUST get a SECOND back-up light to carry with you, and factor this into the cost. In other words, would not dive with just your camera light and the SST-50, you would need a third back-up as well.

If you can afford it, get the SST 50, and the Big Blue ($300 total) and you will have a really good combination.

If you just want one light, I think the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED, or the UK Light Canon LED are the best choices in your price range. They claim about 800 lumen brightness, which is a lot. They are $200.00 or less and use standard "C" batteries. They have super reputations for reliability and bullet-proof construction. They also get plenty of burn time for several dives. They have pistol or lantern handle grips. Check them out at your local LDS

+1 for what GuyHarrisonPhoto said. I carry the UK Light Canon (though mine is HID) and my wife uses the Princeton Tec Shockwave. Excellent choices.

I recently picked up a Hollis LED 5 for just under $90 I am happy with the light output and beam property (narrow hotspot with useful side spill). It fits inside Oxycheq light socks. However, mine is also flooded on my first ocean dive. Hopefully it is an individual unit problem. Light is sent back to Hollis for warranty replacement.

Thanks so much to all of you for the useful input, it is very much appreciated. I have decided to go with the Princeton Tec LED pack. Seems like a reliable entry level option for me. Looking forward to checking out the critters and hopefully illuminating some coral spawning. :)

Carey

For coral spawning, you definitely don't want a light with a 6 deg hotspot.

The shockwave LED is decent but big, requiring 8 batteries. The backup light is strictly for backup. The little blinking light is a good replacement for those glow tubes.

If you do decide to get it, make sure you get the one that is 400 lumens shockwave not some old 170 lumen one.

You can get just the shockwave for $90 from LP

Princeton Tec, 2008 Shockwave LED

If they don't have the 2008 unit, they will usually ship you the new one. Just ask about it.

Same with the Miniwave II LED

Princeton Tec, 2008 Miniwave LED

They should even have the newst 390 lumen unit.

GuyHarrisonPhoto was correct in assuming that my video light would act as my primary, so really I am looking for a back up for when I have the camera, but also another primary for times when I don't have the camera, or one that I can share with my buddy. The model should be the 400 lumen one. I will most likely get a more serious light next year or so. :)

Carey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom