Need help finding a resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjhill

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,

I am planning a trip to Mexico in late November with my wife for our 8th anniversary. We would like to find a resort that would be good for everything we want to do. I think a mainland site would be better (not that I don't love Coz) as we want to dive some cenotes and make a trip out Chichen Itza. We would also like to do a day or two of boat diving in the ocean. Ideally the resort will have an on-site dive op making it really easy to get out and dive. My wife is only part time diver, so I may also do another morning or two of boat diving so it would be nice if the resort had an on-site op where I could leave in the morning and do a quick two tanks and be back early afternoon to hang out with my wife on the beach for the rest of the day. So a nice beach is also a must. The resort must also be all-inclusive (cause thats what the wife wants).

I understand this is a tall list for the mainland, but if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

I'm going in December and looked at a number of resorts in the Riviera Maya. The all-inclusives that I considered were Barcelo, Grand Palladium, Catalonia Royal Tulum, and Catalonia Riviera Maya. I settled on Catalonia Riviera Maya in Puerto Aventuras. It's smaller than some of the others and seems to have a pretty relaxed atmosphere. My friend I'm traveling with doesn't dive, and there's decent snorkeling from the beach of the resort. There is a dive shop on site, but it's not recommended. Dive Aventuras is nearby and will pick you up for free at the resort.

Last edited:
I'm going in December and looked at a number of resorts in the Riviera Maya. The all-inclusives that I considered were Barcelo, Grand Palladium, Catalonia Royal Tulum, and Catalonia Riviera Maya. I settled on Catalonia Riviera Maya in Puerto Aventuras. It's smaller than some of the others and seems to have a pretty relaxed atmosphere. My friend I'm traveling with doesn't dive, and there's decent snorkeling from the beach of the resort. There is a dive shop on site, but it's not recommended. Dive Aventuras is nearby and will pick you up for free at the resort.

We stayed @ the Catalonia Riviera Maya a couple years ago & enjoyed it a lot. Going Sept 5 thru Sept 12 this year, staying @ Barcelo Tropical.

The dive shops are no longer allowed to pick up or deliver divers @ resorts however
Aquanauts (Dennis) is within walking distance from the Catalonia. Looks like I'll have to do a $5 cab ride from Barcelo.

We stayed @ the Catalonia Riviera Maya a couple years ago & enjoyed it a lot. Going Sept 5 thru Sept 12 this year, staying @ Barcelo Tropical.

The dive shops are no longer allowed to pick up or deliver divers @ resorts however
Aquanauts (Dennis) is within walking distance from the Catalonia. Looks like I'll have to do a $5 cab ride from Barcelo.

Well, that is disappointing. Who is it that's not allowing them to pick up divers?

Why did you decide to go to Barcelo rather than Catalonia this year?

Well, that is disappointing. Who is it that's not allowing them to pick up divers?

From what I've been told and understand is that the taxi union is strong and complained that they were losing fares to the dive ops, so then a law was passed that dive ops can't pick up and drop off.

We were told that since it was so slow down there this year the taxi operators complained they were losing too much business to the dive ops picking up divers.

Just wanted to dry a different resort, price was about the same. We stayed @ the Catalonia Royal Tulum last year but didn't like it as much as the Riviera Maya. You should check out Aquanauts for diving, the whole crew there are great to work with.

Terry

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but do folks on scubaboard generally prefer Aquanauts to Dive Aventuras? Someone on tripadvisor said that Aquanauts is more appropriate for more experienced divers. I have a grand total, since last night, of 9 dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom