Need help from a diver. Reward offered.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I, too, would love to hear more about how and where you found it. After following this thread since August of 2010, and reading about various SB-ers' attempts to locate the part, our curiosity has built up!

Congrats on the find.

Last edited:
I started out using the jackstay pattern but due to numerous trees my line kept getting tied up. A wise public safety diver told me that in zero vis searches, you need to just close your eyes and rely on your touch... so that's what I did. I only opened my eyes to check a gauge and to check compass. I just did your old 20 kicks south, 2 west, 20 north routine. It was about 50 yards off from where it went in. This thing has wings on it so I guess it "flew" quiet a ways before it came to rest. It was in about 28 feet of water and was much closer to shore than was thought. I had 4 boats pulling skiers and several jet skis buzzing above my head for hours. It was a fun mission.

Congratulations on finding it (the "old-fashioned" way yet!), and thanks for coming back to post details :)

Reactions: Jax
I started out using the jackstay pattern but due to numerous trees my line kept getting tied up. A wise public safety diver told me that in zero vis searches, you need to just close your eyes and rely on your touch... so that's what I did. I only opened my eyes to check a gauge and to check compass. I just did your old 20 kicks south, 2 west, 20 north routine. It was about 50 yards off from where it went in. This thing has wings on it so I guess it "flew" quiet a ways before it came to rest. It was in about 28 feet of water and was much closer to shore than was thought. I had 4 boats pulling skiers and several jet skis buzzing above my head for hours. It was a fun mission.

Way to stay on it! :eyebrow:

Redwing was like a dog on a bone. He really stuck with it and I appreciate all his effort. Thanks man! Looking forward to picking it up tonight.

Rich

I think it is cool that the first to dive it was the one who found it.

Just call me the "Lanier Bulldog"! Perhaps the "psycho obsessed" would be more like it. Thanks guys! Couldn't have done it without Rich giving lots of detail and taking me out to the site.

I didn't have a lift bag on me at the time and was close to shore so I just swam to shore with it. There was too much traffic for me to ascend where I found it. I then surface swam with it back to my boat. I was lucky... I usually have my lift bag on me but this was my third dive of the day and it must have fallen off my bc when I was switching tanks out. I found it later in my boat. The boats and jetskis were whizzing past my diver down floats... i guess they don't know you are supposed to stay 100 feet or so away from them. Oh well...

Back
Top Bottom