Need help from PT-014 to PT-018 owners!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tricia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks,

I want to buy an LCD hood for the back of my old PT-005 housing. Olympus.com has two hoods available (one for the PT-014, PT-016 and PT-018 housings and one for the PT-015 and PT-017 housings). My problem is that Olympus won't give me the measurements so that I can see if one of these would fit my PT-005. Can you guys help?

The "window" on the back of my housing is 4 cm by 5 cm (or about 1.7 inches by 2 inches). I'd be grateful if one of you could let me know if that's the size on your housing and if so, which model you own.

Thanks!
Tricia :10:

I have a PT-014.The window measures 4cm to 3.5 cm (sorry I'm not calculating in inches)

Tricia:
Hi folks,

I want to buy an LCD hood for the back of my old PT-005 housing. Olympus.com has two hoods available (one for the PT-014, PT-016 and PT-018 housings and one for the PT-015 and PT-017 housings). My problem is that Olympus won't give me the measurements so that I can see if one of these would fit my PT-005. Can you guys help?

The "window" on the back of my housing is 4 cm by 5 cm (or about 1.7 inches by 2 inches). I'd be grateful if one of you could let me know if that's the size on your housing and if so, which model you own.

Thanks!
Tricia :10:

There is a little more to it than just finding a hood. I am in the process of trying to accomplish the same task for my two PT010's. The PT-015 has two tracks on the housing for the hood to attach to. The PT-015 also has a hood inside the housing to fill the gap between the camera monitor and the inside of the housing. This is so when you look through the exterior hood no light gets in between it and the monitor.

I have already made a hood type device for inside the housing out of a black foam cup holder as shown here. This alone helps a lot.

I ordered a PT-015 hood from B&H Photo for $11.95 + shipping. I believe it will fit the back of the PT-010 but I will have to figure a way to attach it. I may use Marine Goop to permanently attach it or I may attach Velcro strips to the housing with Marine Goop. The hood has not arrived yet.

You may want to take a chance that you can use the PT-015 hood for your housing.

Thanks Gilligan! Your website page was VERY helpful! (I even saved it in my "favorites" to look at later!). That's a good point about the "internal hood" - I hadn't thought of that. I think I'll try the PT-015 LCD Hood, as the other one doesn't seem to be at all the same size. As for fitting it on and making the internal hood, I'm fortunate in that my dad is a retired MIT/ Georgia Tech engineer and just LOVES a project like this! So I will turn it over to him.

Kind regards,
Tricia

Tricia:
Thanks Gilligan! Your website page was VERY helpful! (I even saved it in my "favorites" to look at later!). That's a good point about the "internal hood" - I hadn't thought of that. I think I'll try the PT-015 LCD Hood, as the other one doesn't seem to be at all the same size. As for fitting it on and making the internal hood, I'm fortunate in that my dad is a retired MIT/ Georgia Tech engineer and just LOVES a project like this! So I will turn it over to him.

Kind regards,
Tricia

Your welcome. Please send me, or post, a photo of your Dad's solution to the task. I thought of getting clear Plexiglass strips and attaching them to the housing to mimic the back of the PT-015 but that sounds like a lot of work.

Hi Gilligan,

I'll send you a pic as soon as he does it, but it won't be until I go to the States the week of 23 August. I'm diving from the 28th to the 11th at San Salvador, but I'll make sure to reply to this post with a photo before I leave.

Tricia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom