Need Help on 1 piece choice for Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beetlejuice

Reaction score
I dive 99% in Monterey and am looking to buy a full suit. I don't want a drysuit,, and I don't want to spend $$$ on a two-piece. I get hot in a 7mm two piece.
I've seen oneill's Avalon, and J-type. The J-type may be too warm for me due to the extra vest.
I've been looking into the Henderson 7/5 Gold core hyperstretch as well.
Now I saw an ad for the bodyglove Storm Trooper 6/5/4.
Any info out there?
Your advice/experience is GREATLY appreciated!!!

I like the hyperstretch, but wasn't aware there was a gold core hyperstretch...

In Monterey, I use the hyperstretch jumpsuit with a hooded vest.

--Sean

Really? You're hot in a two piece suit? I only have 4 dives in Monterey, but I sure wasn't hot. I guess I'm the wrong guy to offer advice... but couldn't resist. I bought a 6.5 mm Bare suit and was a bit cold in the 54 degree water at my apartment pool, so I added the hooded vest. I was quite comfortable for well over an hour with the vest and full suit. I figured I could wear the hooded vest with my 3 mm suit if I was diving water in the 65-70 degree range.

Then again I wore a full suit (the 3mm) when diving the 81 degree water of Roatan.

On this same note:
I've read the debate about "semi-dry." I don't care what its called, I want a 1 piece that keeps my warm and I can easily take it on and off.
Anyone know about the body golve???

Take a look at the Xcel 7/6/5 semi-dry (they also make an 8/7/6 and a 9/8/7, but since you say a 2 piece is too hot, try the lighter model).

I also find 2 piece suits too hot and too motion restrictive. I found this Xcel very comfortable, easy to get on and off, and it kept me plenty warm.

I dive with a two piece gold core hendersons. I love that wetsuit!I read so many posts here about it , I had to buy one. It is awesome. If you want a one piece, my wife has the new Seaquest X-flex and she LOVES IT. It is stretchy, so movement is not hindered much (compared to my two piece). It is similar to the hyperstretch, which larger people tend to love, because it stretches. I have to larger buddies who dive with the hyperstretch and like it. If temp is below 57-58 I wear a hooded vest, but otherwise, I love my zippered hood.
:guitar:

Back
Top Bottom