Need HELP on travel advice in Malaysia's East Coast (mid April 2005)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

panicdiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I'm organizing a dive trip in my college in Malaysia. We are going to east coast during mid April. Some of my college official are worried about the recent tsunami, earthquake, so called 'big waves' in Terengganu e.t.c.. They need some confirmation (in writing) that it is safe to go there (most of the officials are non-diver).

I hope that someone out there could help us in getting the contact number of people/Malaysian government authority that have the authority/power to help us.

I could be contacted through my email or u can call me at 016 647 2859.

Thank you. All help is appreciated.

panicdiver:
Hi

I'm organizing a dive trip in my college in Malaysia. We are going to east coast during mid April. Some of my college official are worried about the recent tsunami, earthquake, so called 'big waves' in Terengganu e.t.c.. They need some confirmation (in writing) that it is safe to go there (most of the officials are non-diver).

I hope that someone out there could help us in getting the contact number of people/Malaysian government authority that have the authority/power to help us.

I could be contacted through my email or u can call me at 016 647 2859.

Thank you. All help is appreciated.

hey panic, if you do manage to get it in writing, may i have a copy of it pls?

personally, i don't think there'll be anything wrong with diving on the east coast, given the geography of the South China Sea, but i could be wrong.. maybe i'll get to dive in a tsunami again.. :D :D :D

OrcaBlue:
hey panic, if you do manage to get it in writing, may i have a copy of it pls?

personally, i don't think there'll be anything wrong with diving on the east coast, given the geography of the South China Sea, but i could be wrong.. maybe i'll get to dive in a tsunami again.. :D :D :D
Talk to pummkin on the FiNS forum. I believe you are a member and she has good contacts with Malaysian officials. It would be nice to educate your teachers about simple geography.

Zippsy:
It would be nice to educate your teachers about simple geography.

Hahahaha

Thanks Zippsy for your help. I will contact her. Anyway were in the middle of getting some kind of statement from The Meteroligical Department Malaysia. I hope that this is sufficient for my college officials.

OrcaBlue... When I get the writing I will contact u.

Thanks.

Zippsy:
Talk to pummkin on the FiNS forum. I believe you are a member and she has good contacts with Malaysian officials. It would be nice to educate your teachers about simple geography.

Thanks Zippsy.. Will do that. :D

panicdiver:
Some of my college official are worried about the recent tsunami, earthquake, so called 'big waves' in Terengganu e.t.c.. They need some confirmation (in writing) that it is safe to go there (most of the officials are non-diver).

if they're looking for a guarantee, might be difficult. i can guarantee the water in my kitches sink will exceed 6 inches (it's the depth of the sink) but i can't guarantee nothing will die in there because a gecko can fall in and drown ;-)

maybe they want reassurance that the tsunami phenomena is not something that happens daily, etc. as for big waves - kinda difficult to say there wil be no big waves. it could be generated by a passing ship, for example.

seems i'm not helping your predicament. my 2 cents is a guarantee letter is not the way to go. reasoning might be better (at least that was what it took for my Mrs to say okay to my Tioman trip in March).

i reminded her about the monsoon season and when the typical timing is. and how the north east wind wreaks havoc on the east coast, etc. and then i spoke about Tioman and the trips we took there the last three years, on how where we typically stay is on the western side, etc, when it is after the monsoon (Tengkujoh in local language). and then went a bit of education on tectonic plates, etc including a brief description on earthquakes and tsunamis (usgs.gov is a good source). she still didn't but it but the discussion helped.

anyways, just my 2 cents. where specifically are you going and why ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom