Need Help w/ a setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

memon1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All,

I am just getting into doing video. I bought an inexpensive Mini-DV camera by panasonic. I currently have a Dell Inspiron 100, which you can imagine doesn't get me very far in editing. I was looking at buying an older G4 Mac setup. But I'm wondering if maybe I should think about getting a Mac Mini, or possibly a better PC. I'm on a BIG BUDGET constraint so before you post it, I can't afford a G5 or any fancy stuff like that. I have at most about $700.00 to spend right now. I would like some advice about a good program to use. I am currently using Windows Movie Maker, NERO by Sony, and Muvee demo.Any help or advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks!!

I have a Compaq laptop with an AMD 64 Athlon processor and 1 gig of ram. I find this to work with an external firewire hard drive. I started out with a Dell Centrino, but burned the motherboard out after a few short movies with the rendering. As for software, I use Pinnacle Studio.

There are times that I have gone back to Windows Movie Maker, good basic program.

If you have a Dell already (and I'd assume some PC software) why switch to a Mac? The only advantage you'd gain is you'd get Imovie, but most serious Mac editors I know use Final Cut Pro, which retails over $700 alone.

You might look at the Dell website, they're currently offering free shipping and free flat panel upgrades on some of their systems. They have more than one for under $700 depending on how you configure it. I'd get the fastest processor you can afford, 1GB of ram and a big Serial ATA drive to start out with.

For software, look at Adobe Premiere Elements, it's a feature-reduced version of Premiere Pro. Adobe sells Premiere Elements 2.0 for $99 but you can do better online at Amazon or elsewhere. Or Sony Vegas Movie Studio. I just bought Movie Studio Platinum for $129, if you don't think you'll be doing HD, Movie Studio Gold is $89 retail. It came bundled with Acid XMC for soundtrack creation and DVD Architect 3.0. And it's similar in operation to the full Vegas suite($600+) if you want to move up later.

You can do quite nicely with one of the dual-core Mini's and iMovie, far better than Windows MovieMaker. If your needs get bigger, you can look at Final Cut Express ($300) before moving all the way up to Final Cut Pro. Be aware you'll need to add an external firewire hard drive to your setup to have room for full-rez captured video.

A used G4 would work quite well, but it's a questionable investment at this point.

The cheapest option is to stick with what you've got and dump as much memory as it will take, along with a monster hard drive. You'll be stuck with Windows software, but it's definitely the cheapest route.

I'm with Compudude, Stick with what you have while you're learning. You can get an older version of editing software (Ulead, Pinacle, ect) for now that will work better on your system. Reasearch what you like while you use what you have. After a while, you will know better exactly what you want and probably have more money to buy it! I use a PC but don't mind telling you that the Mac is FAR superior for video and graphics. Good Luck!

Let us know how you make out!

~Steve~

Thanks for all the input. The prob. w/ the current setup is that I can't even watch the movies I'm making. It just skips like hardcore and then freezes. Does anyone know how much RAM the Inspiron 1000 will accept?? And an external HD would do me well too??? I really appreciate all the responses. My goal is to eventually be able to do videography and photograhy for like expeditions, anyone w/ any experience doing this??? Thanks again, I look forward to reading your responses.

Personally I think you'll waste a lot of money to make it functional, if it's even possible. You can only double your RAM to 512MB (assuming you have 256 now)

And it's kind of short on Video memory which can't be upgraded since it's shared from the system RAM.(I think, ask Dell) With a 30 or 40GB drive, you'll have to go with an external drive - no Firewire port, so you'll have to get a USB 2.0 drive. Or a PCMCIA firewire card(do they make one?) On the plus side, the processor is probably fast enough to use with Vegas Movie Studio or Adobe Elements.

btw, buying an external drive may/may not help your freezing problem. One thing that will help now is to defragment your drive often.

Inspiron 1000 specs:
CPU: Mobile Intel® Celeron® Processor at 2.20 GHz with on-die 256 KB L2 cache and 400MHz front side bus.
Memory: 256 or 512 MB shared DDR SDRAM, 266MHz bus frequency
Storage: 30 or 40 GB Ultra ATA hard drive
VideoChip(s): SiS M650 Integrated Graphics - 32MB shared DDR SDRAM [14.1" XGA TFT active-matrix display with 1024 x 768 resolution]
SiS M650 Integrated Graphics - 64MB shared DDR SDRAM
[15" XGA TFT active-matrix display with 1024 x 768 resolution]
Optical Devices: Fixed CD Burner/ DVD Combo Drive: 24x/10x/24x CD-RW and 8x DVD-ROM.
Ports: 3-USB 2.0, Video: 15-pin monitor connector, 10/100 Ethernet LAN: RJ-45 connector, Modem: RJ-11 connector, Audio jacks: Microphone in connector and stereo speakers/headphone connector, No parallel, serial or S-Video ports.
Display: 14.1" XGA display: Height: 1.46" (37.2 mm)
Width: 13.0" (330 mm)
Depth: 10.6" (268 mm)
Weight: 6.37lbs
Battery:8-cell Nickel Metal Hydride battery (43Whr), Approximate operating time: 1.5 hours (depends on usage), Enhanced Performance system: 8-cell Lithium Ion battery (65Whr), Approximate operating time: 2.5 hours (depends on usage).
AC Adapter: Input voltage: 100 to 240 VAC, Input current (maximum): 1.5A, Output current: 3.16A, Output power: 60W standard, Dimensions (H x W x D): 1.14" (29mm) x 1.95" (49.5mm) x 4.5" (114.5mm), Weight (with cables): 0.66 lbs. (0.3 kg).
Slots: Connectors: (1) Type I or Type II card, 3V / 5 V cards supported.
Modem: Internal 56K capable v.92 Fax modem.
Network Interface: Integrated 10/100 Ethernet.
Wireless Networking: Optional: Dell 1300 Wireless PC Card (802.11 b/g).
Sound: Integrated stereo sound..
Floppy Drive: Optional: External USB floppy drive.

a mini is a waste of time if you think you'll ever want to use final cut pro, as is the macbook. Their "graphics processor" which is not dedicated will not support Final Cut Studio Pro.

Also, you need the latest universal Final cut 5.1 to run on the Intel machines. None of the earlier versions will work.

iMovie HD is a VERY user friendly program for those just getting into video editing, but you may max out on it after 10 or so movie shorts and just want... "more".

The next step would then be final cut express (if you don't want to fork over the cashola for Pro)

iMac intel, 2.0 duo, 1.5gig RAM, 250g internal HD, terrabyte external. Works like a charm.

I imagine if I get really serious down the road (and win the lottery) I'd get a MacPro (the 3.0 dual Xenon duo) and a couple 30' studio displays, but then i'd need a bigger office as well :wink:

Mac's don't need defragging :wink: if you think it needs defragging you have a bigger problem...

In theory having the data on the external is "faster" but I have not experienced that phenomenon.

Back
Top Bottom