Need help with dive bag/Travel bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Briggs & Riley for my clothes and medical stuff. I used to have a Stahlsac for the dive stuff which I loved, but it went the way of all flesh. My wife had an Aqualung bag for her dive stuff which got destroyed by the airlines. It was the handle and not the wheels. Aqualung gave us a brand new bag when we produced a copy of the original invoice. I wanted our stuff to be distinctive so I painted our initials in big letters on all sides of all of our suitcases. That way no one will confused them with theirs and the airlines can readily identify them when they lose them and I also have galaxy smart tags in all my suitcases. I do not think theft is nearly as much of a problem as lost luggage. The only times I have had things stolen, it was by airport security and they stole water shoes and not other scuba stuff. My wife has a Mares BCD and we got her the Mares knife that fits it and it always gets stolen. We have replaced it several times and finally gave up.

+1 on smart tags. Delta lost my bag and I knew it even before we backed up from the gate since my phone didn't show the bag being near me. I was able to walk past the carousel and straight to the baggage office and report it rather than wait in vain for it to appear. After a couple of phone calls and me steering them toward the right concourse using the smart tag they finally produced the bag a day or two later.

So I'm looking into new dive bag for traveling but hopefully would be used for local dives. I'm leaning towards a roller bag but haven't seen much feedback on a lot of them. I travel a lot with my gear so I need something thats some what light weight but has some durability to protect my gear. So I'm asking what gear bag do you use currently? Do you like it and what are your pros and cons for it? if you don't like your bag, what bag would you upgrade to if you did?
I actually use a sturdy gym bag for traveling. It cost something like $40 or $50 and holds everything except my fins. I use my wetsuit as padding. I put my fins in my roller luggage. I usually stick an AirTag in my reg bag and hidden in my BC.

Back
Top Bottom