Need help with my novel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shipwreckscanada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm writing a novel that has a scene where my characters find themselves two hundred meters underground in a dry cave. They reach a point where they need to scuba dive through a rock tunnel system to get to the other side. To make it realistic, I need your help with three questions.

1- How far can an average diver go, if he’s diving in about five meters of water with an 80 gallon tank?

2- Can these divers suffer from decompression sickness if they are two hundred meters underground, before they start to dive five meters underwater?

3- I was hoping that they can bring three cylinders each and when one runs out they switch to another until they reach the end. Would this affect the answer to questions one and two?

I know I'm asking a lot, but any answer you can give will be better than what I can come up with.

1. First of all no such thing as an 80 gallon tank. Tanks are rated in cu ft or liters. As for how far they can go on one tank, it really depends on what you consider the "average diver" to be. Average as in warm water vacation diver? Regular diver in local cold water conditions? Average technical diver? You'd need to have some idea of their consumption rate. How realistic do you want to be and who is your target audience? This is a problem I run into when writing. Am I writing for new divers, non divers, experienced divers, or tech divers? Non divers you can do what movies like The Cave and Sanctum did and just make up crap. Facts are not as much important as they are boring and annoying. For divers if you go into the detail you need to in order to educate non divers it can get boring.

Why do they need to get through this and did they plan for it? Are these dry cavers that sometimes use scuba for sumps or actual cave trained divers? I know some pretty accomplished dry cavers. One I went to school with. For his teams if they came to such a point they would call in another team with proper training. Or look for an alternate route since none of them are divers.

2. As long as they are under ground they will not suffer from DCS. It's how long they have been down, when they come up, how fast they come up, etc. that determines the risk of DCS. 200 meters is a bit over 600 feet. The air is however not compressed as if they were working in a caisson. Coal miners regularly spend 8-12 hour shifts much deeper without suffering any decompression related problems on ascent because the air is not compressed. A five meter depth dive 600 feet underground is going to be about the same as a 5 meter dive in a lake.

3. The problem here is how are the transporting the cylinders, how are they going to carry them through the sump (back mount, sidemount, slung, dragged along), and have they done the planning and gas matching to know that this will indeed be enough air? How will they move the cylinders to do the switch. What lights are they using to allow them to see to do this? How do they know they can even get through the "tunnel"? What if they get in far enough to use up two cylinders and then find they can't get any further? They have used two to get in, get stuck or stopped, they have one left which means the story ends quickly as they all drown or they sacrifice one or two and hope they have enough to get back out.

Not trying to be an ass about it, but one thing I have learned from books, movies, and writing is that if you really want to do a story justice, you need to be personally familiar with the subject. Otherwise it can come across very poorly. Any work is going to have it's critics. No matter how good it is. But not knowing your subject and trying to write about it with any number of people who do know the material as part of your target audience is going to seriously detract from the story.

Unless something of real significance is going to happen in that tunnel, I'd look at ways to eliminate the scuba aspect of it. Unless you don't have divers as your target audience.

Here's short answer, without a lot of details you don't need...

1. No risk of decompression; water depth is irrespective of depth underground
  2. With a single 80cf tank, at 5m depth, an average diver can stay under water swimming at a relaxed pace in still water for well more than an hour. An experienced, efficient diver probably two hours.
  3. Given answer to #2 above, you'll want to either re-think the need for three tanks, or introduce variables requiring that much gas (very long swim, against current, etc)

Divers will also need lights/fins/mask at minimum (assume you know this, but didn't mention)

Seeing as it's far less likely that anyone could carry all needed gear PLUS three tanks each (I can't carry two single tanks plus ANYTHING else) consider this:

Two divers, one tank/one reg, swimming against a bit of a current for 30 minutes. They'd have to trade reg back and forth to breathe and would be at risk of barely having enough gas to make it to the other end.

Ray

I want to emphasize a point Jim made. I have never myself done any sump exploration, but I have read a good deal about it in anticipation of doing it eventually.

One key fact I have learned is that a primary difficulty in diving a sump is simply getting the gear to the site. You have to rely on assistants, commonly called "Sherpas," to help get it all there. For that reason, it is advisable to take the lightest and least gear you can. Three 80 cubic foot tanks each would not fit that description. You said that they "find themselves" nearly 700 feet underground in a cave. How did this happen? I assume they were not using a Star Trek-type teleportation device. It is not easy to get yourself in that situation; it is a lot harder to get yourself there with all that scuba gear.

Now, one thing that can be done is to get the gear there in a series of trips--get the gear to the site a little at a time, perhaps over several days. If your people "find themselves" in a situation where they come upon this sump after a dive team has brought the gear down but before they have used it, you might be OK.

By the way, sump divers frequently dive sidemount. You should have double tanks for redundancy, but it is very hard to carry in double backmount tanks that are joined together by a manifold. Sidemount tanks are carried individually. Although it can be done, a serious sump diver will rarely dive with a single backmounted tank. I would not do it.

Thank you for your explanations. Your relevant questions have given my much to think about. I can now do the scene justice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom