need ideas, broken knife sheath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vicmac

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,
I have a nearly new pro blue dive knife but somehow I broke the sheath. Im not sure what I did but saw bits of it while I was rinsing it off.This means the knife does not stay in the sheath if turned sidewards or upside down. Not wanting to loose my knife I was trying to think of something I can make for it, then strap or clip it to my leg or Bc, any ideas? The sheath is intact, but the button you press to release the knife is broken inside.

+ 1 more for bungee. I have seen elastic straps for knives but bungee is better and cheap.

Why not contact the manufacturer and have them send you a new sheath?

I don't know anything about this particular knife and sheath, but when something similar happened to mine while I was on the road, I decided to do something temporary and just put some bungee cord around it. I immediately saw that my temporary fix was way better than the original design. I haven't changed it, and I would rather use the sheath with the bungee than a brand new original sheath.

This came up a while back when my buddy and I found a dive knife on the bottom. It had a beginning coat of surface rust and some light pitting. We cleaned the rust off and resharpened it, then contacted the manufacturer and for six bucks had a new sheath sent.

Thanks everyone, i think I will just see how much a sheath is, but then may well go bor the bungee idea.

I found a knife and made a sheath from belt/harness strap. I bought a fun toy called a "sewing awl" http://www.mcmaster.com/#sewing-awls/=9jsemx and folded the strap to make a slot to slip my harness through and another fold to insert the blade. A couple of holes for bungee to keep it secure and Bob's your uncle.

Before I did this, I asked the same question and a few respondents mentioned heating PVC pipe in an oven. So that may be another way to go.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/making-your-own-gear/151262-knife-sheath.html

Couv

I found a knife and made a sheath from belt/harness strap. I bought a fun toy called a "sewing awl" McMaster-Carr and folded the strap to make a slot to slip my harness through and another fold to insert the blade. A couple of holes for bungee to keep it secure and Bob's your uncle.

Before I did this, I asked the same question and a few respondents mentioned heating PVC pipe in an oven. So that may be another way to go.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/making-your-own-gear/151262-knife-sheath.html

Couv

+1

My knife sheath is a piece of webbing. It's folded into a tight "S" shape. The lower part of the "S" is sewn together along the edges to form a pouch. The upper part of the S is sewn across the width to form a belt loop.

I just took a picture and noticed I lied...no hole for the bungee, I just passed it through the strap slot:

c

Back
Top Bottom