Need Ideas For A Wetsuit Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbm369

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all,

Looking for some recommendations on a wetsuit. When going through my OW classes, I tried using different size suits, but unfornately, they only had 1 type/brand...Akona. They were 3 mil suits, but fit was a not good for me.

My specs, lol: 5'9", 220 lbs. I workout a lot, not a bodybuilder by any means, but the suits I tried on gave me fits in the forearm area as well as thighs/calves. I tried the Akona XL & XXL. XXL was too loose elswhere and let in too much water. The XL did well except the areas i mentioned above...pretty much a workout to get on / off.

The LDS recommended the Akona Quantum Stretch in XL, which has more give/flex than a normal Akona suit. It feels like it would be fine, just want to find out other possible options before making a $200+ purchase.

Are there any other wetsuit types / brands that have a bit more flex in them than the usual LDS rental suit?
warm water, full suit, 3 or 5 mil or a combo style.

Thanks in advance :)

Sadly, the stretchier the neoprene the more the cost. Most manufacturers have a "stretch" suit which is their higher end suit. Most LDS will use lower end suits for classes/rentals due to cost. Some body types require a custom or a higher end suit. And in all honesty, if a warm suit is $200, it's money well spent. Hit the Google and research some suits to give you a better idea of what's out there.

My 7mil farmer john 2pc wetsuit cost me over 600 dollars but it fits perfectly everywhere
200 seems to be on the lows idea for the cost of a wetsuit
Btw im 5'8" 215 lbs also muscular also a good lds should be able to alter a wetsuit to fit I know my lds does they even blind stitch all their seams so their water tight

appreciate the feedback so far.
The cost isn't really an issue, i just don't won't to spend 200+ on a wetsuit that I end up not liking. Just looking for opinions on what other options are out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom