Need instructor/shop recommendation for N. Virginia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkgeek

New
Reaction score
I'm interested in getting my basic open water dive certification but have experienced "paralysis by analysis" trying to decide on an instructor, shop, and certifying agency. I live in Northern Virginia, and as recommended, I've visited some local shops but haven't been totally sold yet on any of them. I know the instructor is the most important piece to the puzzle, so can anyone recommend by name a truly outstanding dive instructor in the region? I'm forty something, pretty athletic, like the water, and am excited to finally give this a try, but being new to the sport, I want to do it at my pace and within my comfort zone. Simply put, I really want to learn to dive correctly and safely with an emphasis on quality instruction, not on selling me lots of gear. You probably see similiar postings a lot, but I hope to get some feedback nevertheless. Thanks for your input and suggestions~Sharkgeek
04.gif

I have a great friend, dive buddy who is a terrific Instructor (PADI).

He lives in Midloathian (near Richmond). He does the OW Dives at Lake Rawlings (Quarry). He is an Independent Instructor but has a loose affiliation with a LDS for equipment rentals. VERY REASONABLY PRICED but very thorough.

I think he is a fantastic Instructor and worth the extra trip. I got him to certify my wife, daughter and son.

My wife was a special case and he was VERY attentive to her concerns and needs!

PM me if you are interested.

Mark

If you haven't, visit Adventure Scuba in Chantilly. Directions are at www.scubava.com . It is a NAUI shop but they do have a couple of dual-qualified instructors if you really want PADI. Ask for the owner Henry or Laryy the Asst Manager.

I'm one of the part-time instructors there, but everyone is good. Classes start every other week.

Come on in - the water is great!

Adventure Scuba is good. I would also check out American water Sports in Falls Church. They run classes once a month and their gear prices are the best around. Their head instructor is (or was) on the Board of Directors of NAUI and is an expert in basic training among other things. AWS has been around for over 40 years under the same ownership and is a fixture in the local diver community.

Check both outfits out.

tedwhiteva:
If you haven't, visit Adventure Scuba in Chantilly. Directions are at www.scubava.com . It is a NAUI shop but they do have a couple of dual-qualified instructors if you really want PADI. Ask for the owner Henry or Laryy the Asst Manager.

I'm one of the part-time instructors there, but everyone is good. Classes start every other week.

Come on in - the water is great!

I'll second the recomendation for Adventure Scuba Company. Really great shop with very helpful folks!

I got my classroom and pool dives through American Water Sports in Falls Church - when I was doing my research, they had the most flexibility in terms of schedules and the best prices. I got my open water dives with Zane Frye (great guy) down at Atlantis Divers in Richmond area - I believe this is the dive shop mheaster was referring to because it is in the Midloathian area. I was in a big hurry to get my certs because I was going on a trip to Australia and both of these dive shops were great and worked with me to get everything done in time.

I would recommend Splash Dive Center in Alexandria. The instructors there are excellent instructors as well as nice people. Since you requested a name, I'd recommend Steve Ford. You can check out their extensive training/class schedule on their web site. Good luck and welcome to the boards...

Either way, it'd be nice to know what you end up deciding...

Gravity333:
I got my open water dives with Zane Frye (great guy) down at Atlantis Divers in Richmond area - I believe this is the dive shop mheaster was referring to because it is in the Midloathian area. .

Not who I was referring to. Atlantis is also under new ownership. I was talking about an Independent Instructor who lives in Midloathian.

We also frequent Dallas Weston Dive Shop in Chester, Virginia. Also under new ownership (a lot of that going on?) and is currently tremendously stocked as they also bought out another store.

Welcome! The water's great!

Not sure were you get your information from, Atlantis Divers has never changed hands and is still under the management of its creators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom