Need lift bag recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That ain't a bad idea!!!!!!! Working for Delta in aircraft maintenance does have benefits. We make a bunch of our own a/c parts, and have machine shops larger than a football field. We already make are own line arrows, and stamp them with our name. We make our own backplates. I am sure I could get one of my dive buddies in the shops to machine some stuff out of delrin. Oh the possiblitie are now endless. Him, I wonder if I can make my own backup lights here out of delrin.......

Since no one answered this question, I will :)

Arc and circle dive are here the diver will tie off their reel to a rigid fixed point, play out their reel a particular distance (or to the end) and then swim the circle with the reel and line acting as the "radius" of that circle.

This allows for the diver to return to a known point for ascent or to perform some other task by reeling in the line to where it was tied off.

This method can also be used in search and recovering diving (swim the circle/arc, play out a bit more line, swim that arc/cicle, repeat).

Care must be excercised since you are inserting an entanglement hazard into the diving environment. Plus you could snag the line on an unseen object (aka sunken tree limb). So good line handling skills are a must.

I got a Halcyon Big Alert Marker. It was kind of expensive but it is multifunctional. Not only does it work as a surface marker but it also provides 40 pounds of lift while being small enough to fit in my BC pocket along with a 150 reel. I like that it's sealed with a dump valve for controlling buoyancy.

Wish I had known about the Canadian Exposure Reels before I bought a Halcyon one.

A side note on Delrin:

We use Delrin for a lot of parts at work besides being lighter than aluminum, and easily machineable, it’s self-lubricating. It’s used in a lot of applications where moving parts come into contact with each other and metal parts would wear out quickly.

Mike

I carry a 50lb yellow no-name bag (Divers Outlet) in my BP pouch for emergency deco. I also carry 2 100lb Carter triangle bags for lifting. These ride, rolled up, in bungee loops off the bottom of my BP. I inflate my bags with my primary and am damn careful to not get tangled up in the lift. A little air at a time does the trick.

As for reels and spools..For my deco I use a Hacyon spool (about 120' I think) which lives attached to my rear crotch strap d-ring (already attached to my deco bag). I also carry a Halcyon 400' primary reel which I generally attach to my left waist d-ring.

I've considered switching my deco bag to the Halcyon closed type but I don't like the idea of having to disconnect my LPI to inflate it.

Tom

Tom I can't remember if you are diving dry... but if you are, use the suit inflator hose to fill the bag...

The bagshould be stored in your right pocket... (spool attached is ok... but you need to carry a spare spool then in your left pocket) it can come undone when just clipped to your butt and make a big mess... let me re-word that... trail out behind you and be difficult to restow...

We clip the big reel off to our butt because the left ring gets real busy anyway...

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Tom I can't remember if you are diving dry... but if you are, use the suit inflator hose to fill the bag...

The bagshould be stored in your right pocket... (spool attached is ok... but you need to carry a spare spool then in your left pocket) it can come undone when just clipped to your butt and make a big mess... let me re-word that... trail out behind you and be difficult to restow...

We clip the big reel off to our butt because the left ring gets real busy anyway...

Mostly wet but got my drysuit so will be doing some dry, mostly come Winter. I thought about using the suit inflator, even considered going ahead and installing the hose even when wet diving and tie-wrapping it off (or something to keep it from flapping) to have it for bag use.

I've been storing the little bag in my BP pouch mostly because I don't have my pockets installed yet (they want to keep my suit 2 weeks to sew them on!). I'm very concious of the "trailing out" effect but I've got quite a few dives on it this way without it trying to get loose.

I know I'm not completely optimized yet, but I'm functional

Tom
=-)

Back
Top Bottom