Need Opinions!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
OK so I was browsing through my LDS yesterday looking at some stuff, regs and dive comps to be exact. The MK 25 really caught my eye and they guy was giving me a song and dance how purchasing though an authorized dealer such as the shop is the best way to buy a reg because all the manufacturers or most of them anyway look at places like Leisure Pro and Scuba Toys as the "black market". He said you will save money but it will cost you an arm and a leg if you need something serviced because an authorized dealer offers free parts for life of the device and you only pay labor. Now I know there are some shop owners in this community so please give me your unbiased opinion on this. Is it BS or no? Im certainly willing to spend my money at the LDS as long as they treat me right even if it is a few bucks more but Im curious as to the whole free parts and black market thing.

Thanks everyone

Just because it is ordered over the internet does not mean they are not an authorized dealer. I know aqualung does not allow internet purchases but some companies do. If ST sells it they are an authorized dealer and will service your reg, including the parts if the warranty covers them. I know Leasurepro does sell gray market items such as Aqualung and parts are not covered under their waranty. Leisurepro does make an attempt to match the warranty on most items but free parts for life is not.

Just because it is ordered over the internet does not mean they are not an authorized dealer. I know aqualung does not allow internet purchases but some companies do. If ST sells it they are an authorized dealer and will service your reg, including the parts if the warranty covers them. I know Leasurepro does sell gray market items such as Aqualung and parts are not covered under their waranty. Leisurepro does make an attempt to match the warranty on most items but free parts for life is not.

OK maybe I mis-communicated that... I certainly believe that LP or Scuba Toys or PrimeScuba or any other shop could in fact be an authorized dealer but I was concerned about the servicing of the equipment and wanted to be sure I can get it serviced or covered under warranty no matter where I purchased it. I suppose if I purchased it (a new one) through a dealer and not from some guy on Ebay then I would be ok.

There are NO NONE NADA NIL Authorized INTERNET sales of Scuba Pro Gear....

They (SP) will supply you with free parts for life if you buy from an A.R. and keep your required service up. Not to say that other manufacturers don't do that too but seems as if your main question was about SP and internet sales.

Thanks

oh and if you buy on Ebay and the previous owner did buy the SP gear from an A.R. (authorized retailer) once it's sold to you from the 1st owner the warranty is now Nil and Void. SP warranty and free parts only apply to the original owner if brought from an A.R.

There are NO NONE NADA NIL Authorized INTERNET sales of Scuba Pro Gear....

They (SP) will supply you with free parts for life if you buy from an A.R. and keep your required service up. Not to say that other manufacturers don't do that too but seems as if your main question was about SP and internet sales.

Thanks

oh and if you buy on Ebay and the previous owner did buy the SP gear from an A.R. (authorized retailer) once it's sold to you from the 1st owner the warranty is now Nil and Void. SP warranty and free parts only apply to the original owner if brought from an A.R.

Thanks Trixxie.. Yes I am concerned about SP products and Internet sales. But thanks for clearing everything up. I guess it's worth it just to pay the extra money and buy from an authorized retailer just for the peace of mind. Eh.. we can always make more money right??

It's my opinion that buying it from LP or EBAY and saving $100 - $200 is not worth the $$ you will end up paying in servicing cost. That is unless you are like some folks around here who only get their gear serviced if it not working...:no:shakehead:

... wanted to be sure I can get it serviced or covered under warranty no matter where I purchased it. I suppose if I purchased it (a new one) through a dealer and not from some guy on Ebay then I would be ok.
You may get static getting free parts should you bring the reg to a shop other than the one you bought it from (even if bought at another authorized dealer).
I've heard of it happening before; you may want to ask your local shop if they'll provide free parts for a reg not bought from them, just to see what they'll say.

You may get static getting free parts should you bring the reg to a shop other than the one you bought it from (even if bought at another authorized dealer). I've heard of it happening before; you may want to ask your local shop if they'll provide free parts for a reg not bought from them, just to see what they'll say.

May but you shouldn't. We service SP gear bought other places. We check the warranty cards, send in what we need to SP and in return they send us a replacement kit for the one we used.

It's not really the shop who is providing the parts but SP so it should be a no issue for them.

I would rather just play it safe and buy the equipment from the shop and have them always service it. I took my class with them as well and they are a good shop so I have no qualms about having them service it. And Trixxie, you are correct, I'd rather pay the extra 100 bucks and buy from them knowing I can always take it back there hassle free.

Every manufacturer tries to protect his turf and dealers are playing along. Dealers have to sign dealer-agreements if they want to sell scuba diving equipment from almost any manufacturer. These agreements usually contain clauses that explicitly prohibit Internet sales, or a dealer may face litigation. Furthermore, dealer agreements set MAP-pricing, which means manufacturers give dealers the minimum price they can sell the equipment for. If somebody tries to sell equipment cheaper (i.e. trough a package deal), they face the risk of losing the brand and being cut-off from the supply chain.

Online only dealers buy their equipment from chapter 11 stores, or directly from the OEM manufactures (some “manufacturers” are not really manufacturers, they have the gear manufactured by somebody else and simply put their label on). If “manufacturer” A moves to OEM manufacturer B, which happens quite often because they may get a better price or a product which is perceived of better quality, the first OEM manufacturer is often left with a product with Label A on it. This “leftover” is sometimes sold off to online-dealers.

“Manufacturers” don’t like this and sue for “gray market products”. Training organizations and lobbying groups like the “Manufacturers Retail Associations” often side with manufacturers (not OEM manufacturers) to keep the market “clean”. Sometimes, “Manufacturing Associations” go broke in the process due to legal expenses involved in the suite.

However, if large training organizations are backing the suite (they make most of their money trough dealers, which pay “membership fees, resort fees”, etc. to be associated with the training organization, and hand over a portion of the certification fee you pay for any c-card, usually even the OEM manufacturer is giving up

It’s all a question of deep pockets and who is feeding them!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom