Need pic of a live Crowned Baler volute

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2godeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On a recent night dive in Palawan, I saw a live Crowned Baler Volute. It was huge--a shell maybe 10", and the animal (a spongy bright pink) towered above the shell, with its siphon straight up.

It made me resolve that an underwater camera must become part of my scuba gear! Needless to say, I didn't have a camera. I'd love to show my family what I saw. None of my books have a pic of the live shell.

Do any of you have a photo you could share--or a recommendation of a place I could find a pic of the live animal?

Thanks!

Yes, Andy, that's it; the melo aethiopica. Sorry, I should have given the scientific name.

see, my ruse worked... i couldn't find a pic of a live one, so i posted the other ones, stalling for time, sure in the belief that someone else would step in and produce a picture...

of the live bugger!

:happyjaz:

Marc, that's a shell similar to the one I saw. Thanks much!

The wierd thing was that this mollusk was in such an unusual position. The shell was underneath and the animal was billowing out over its shell and reaching upward. The siphon was maybe an inch across and was pointed straight up. The animal, at least by flashlight, looked bright pink. It was hard to see the shell itself, because it was only partly exposed. The dive instructor identified it as a crowned baler, and from what I could see, it was definitely a very large volute. Of course, it still had its periostricum.

Oh, if only I'd had a camera..... I saw a lot of things on that dive that I wished I'd been able to document with a photo.

Thanks again, guys. Any more ideas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom