Need some Advice on BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaru_Steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a novice diver. I have been on all of 7 dives, from the Susquehanna River to the Atlantic ocean. I already have a regulator/octopus/computer, as well as 2 tanks (For free :D) I have yet to get hydroed/visually inspected. My next step is a BCD.

I am looking for:
- One with a reasonable price tag (I am in college, 20, recreational diver, low on cash)
- Looking for internal weights
- Used/ New

I know with a regulator you should always buy in person. I would assume the same is true for a BCD (To try it on for size), or could I get away with Leisurepro.com? Just lookin for some input from some knowledgeable divers, thanks guys!

Yes, you can get away with buying from LeisurePro--if it doesn't fit, send it back and they'll exchange it for a different size.

Oh very cool, I know the local dive shops around here have a high price since were far from much more than 2 rivers, a few lakes, and 3 quarries. So online seems to be a cheaper option just didn't know if I would run into trouble with buying a BCD online. Thanks

Integrated weights will make the BC heavier (more reinforced plastic) and much more bulky and rigid. If you plan to travel to your dive sites, it might be a bear to haul around.

Food for thought.

Integrated weights will make the BC heavier (more reinforced plastic) and much more bulky and rigid. If you plan to travel to your dive sites, it might be a bear to haul around.

Food for thought.

It's interesting you say that. I've had several shops and divers tell me if your going to buy a BCD, but integrated. I do see where you are coming from. I look at it more as, either way I have to carry the weight out with me, just in the BCD its one less item looped over my arm.

The issue with integrated weights is that a lot of these pockets really bulk up the bcd. If you could thread a couple of xs scuba weight pockets it would be just as good an much cheaper.

That's what I did with my bp/w

SangP

It's interesting you say that. I've had several shops and divers tell me if your going to buy a BCD, but integrated. I do see where you are coming from. I look at it more as, either way I have to carry the weight out with me, just in the BCD its one less item looped over my arm.

My rear-inflate small travel BC (Zeagle Scout) packs very nicely because it does not have integrated weight pockets (there are rear pouches, but not the standard integrated weight system). I use a weight belt. When I fly I rent weights at my destination, so the gear is very compact. My dive buddy has a weight-integrated BC. I am happier with mine than he is with his. Don't get me wrong - if you never intend to fly with it, a weight-integrated BC won't be a problem to pack.

Loop over your arm?! That is what the picnic table is for. Carry your gear to the table in several trips. Then, put it on and strut into the water.

My rear-inflate small travel BC (Zeagle Scout) packs very nicely because it does not have integrated weight pockets (there are rear pouches, but not the standard integrated weight system). I use a weight belt. When I fly I rent weights at my destination, so the gear is very compact. My dive buddy has a weight-integrated BC. I am happier with mine than he is with his. Don't get me wrong - if you never intend to fly with it, a weight-integrated BC won't be a problem to pack.

Loop over your arm?! That is what the picnic table is for. Carry your gear to the table in several trips. Then, put it on and strut into the water.

That is a very good point, I havn't flown anywhere for dives but thats not to say I wont in the future. I will look into this more. I forget that to rent a weight belt is rather cheap at most dives places, so that could be something I leave at home for dives. Thanks!

Loop over my arms- Just an expression for more stuff to carry from the car to the site. Don't picture me with tanks, BCD, Regulator, weights, wet suit...stumbling down a gravel ramp to the water, lol. :no: :wink:

I forget that to rent a weight belt is rather cheap at most dives places, so that could be something I leave at home for dives. Thanks!
Most "dive destinations" will supply tanks and weights as part of the dive price, so there is no further charge for the weights. They'll usually throw in a belt for no added charge too, but bring your own--it doesn't weigh much.

Check out the ScubaMax BCD selection. They are inexpensive, but still tough as nails with a nice heavy denier rating and weight integration.

Best place to look and buy is here: DivemasterSupply.com

Back
Top Bottom