Need some Help With Drysuit Repair..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need some direction here. I bought a Diving Concepts drysuit used and I need to replace the neck seal. DC says that they only sell through dealers and the guy in my area is MIA. I sent DC an email asking if there is another dealer I can go through. Even offered to go to Santa Barbra to the factory. Heck. I'll even see/do what it takes to be a dealer. But I digress.

What I need to know is how big a deal is it to replace a neck seal and is there a "generic" size - shape - style of seal that I can get someplace? If you saw me glue PVC pipe you wouldn't let me near your drysuit with a can of glue so I doubt I want to tackle doing it myself. Is this something my LDS should be able to do or am I stuck with dealing with what I got.

Don't get me wrong. Before I bought the suit DC gave me a tremendous amount of support even to the point of going to the ebay listing and looking at with me on the phone; working with me to measure myself and giving me some "insider" info about the specific suit I was interested in. Now all I'm getting is cricket noises.

Other than the neck seal issue the suit is in great shape. I'm sure I'll enjoy years of warm comfy diving..If I can get the neck seal fixed.

Steve.

Last edited:
steve gamble in florida is a go-to guy for drysuit repairs. even if you don't need him this time, remember the name!

Latex seal replacement is a pretty trivial thing to do yourself. However, $80 for a complete replacement would make it hardly worth the trouble of doing it yourself. On the other hand, if your local dive shops can't do this in house for you, within a couple of days and without farming out the work, then you need to be looking for a new local dive shop. This is basic stuff.

I've used Superior Diving Repair (www.drysuitrepair.com) several times to do extensive suit work for me and have nothing but the most positive things to say about them. I'd gladly send them any of my four suits at any point in time.

My buddy used Steve Gamble in Florida to do a latex -> neoprene neck seal conversion, which can be tricky. The work came back top notch, so they'd be my other go-to guy, and he was willing to do work that the DC factory categorically refused to handle.

Seal replacement is not a difficult task and does not require anything other than a little heat, a little of the right glue, and a new seal. Having a wood or foamboard template can help for making the process easier.

If you want to DIY, a new seal should be about $30-$40. You can order online here: Kayak Academy.

I second the vote for Superior Diving Repair!

I have a Dacor suit that that I actually paid more for the repairs on than I did for the suit. Superior pretty much ripped the whole thing apart. New boots, moved the vent, patched the hole where it was, shortened arms, shortened legs, installed pockets and brought the whole thing in. Amazing work!

I have a nice custom cut suit at a fraction of what an off the shelf DUI would have cost.

Back
Top Bottom